The Walrus Profile picture
Apr 9, 2021 14 tweets 6 min read Read on X
Stay tuned for a Twitter takeover by @intothemelwoods talking about her pandemic love letter to karaoke: thewalrus.ca/this-pandemic-… 1/14
Hi everyone! I’m @intothemelwoods, here to tell you the story behind my article about what we all lost when the pandemic shut karaoke down. 2/14
First of all, I LOVE karaoke. In the “before times,” every few weeks, you could find me at Funky Winker Beans, in Vancouver, doing my very best Alanis Morissette impression on the main stage. 3/14
Last January, I sang “Rock Lobster” at a packed karaoke bar in Berlin. Afterward, an impromptu train-station karaoke after-party popped up. Little did I know, it would be one of the last times I sang karaoke’s sweet sweet song. 4/14
When the COVID-19 pandemic hit, everything shut down. And, while many services and activities have come back in one way or another over the past year, karaoke has yet to fully return. 5/14
Karaoke is obviously a no-go during a pandemic. Shout-singing respiratory droplets like a viral firehose onto everyone around us is the last thing we should be doing. Add in germ-caked song lists and packed bars and it’s a BAD IDEA. 6/14
Some Canadian operators tried to do COVID-19-safe karaoke over the summer, complete with sanitized microphones and six-foot space regulations. But even those got shut down, “killing any dream of coming back,” one karaoke host told me. 7/14
Many popular karaoke spots have shuttered completely. My beloved Funky’s still has yet to reopen in any capacity in over a year, and another Vancouver institution, Pub 340, recently announced it was closing permanently. 8/14
But karaoke devotees say it needs to come back in our postpandemic world. Karaoke is a vital hobby, one that’s about more than just singing ABBA covers—it’s about self-expression, community, and joy. I miss getting to sing with my friends. 9/14
You aren’t judged on your talent but rather on your ~conviction~. For four minutes and thirty seconds, I get to leave gender at the door and feel like I actually am Bruce Springsteen. 10/14
Karaoke hosts say they’re willing to do anything to make the hobby work in a postpandemic world. “We will do whatever we can to get back to just sitting in our seat and waiting our turn to sing a song,” Vancouver’s Virginia Lynn told me. 11/14
As for what song she’ll sing on her first night back, Lynn says a big Whitney Houston ballad is definitely on the table, “just to belt it all out.” 12/14
When karaoke does come back, you’ll know where to find me—vaccinated, microphone in hand, sing-shouting B-52s lyrics in front of all my favourite people. That moment truly can’t come soon enough. 13/14
That’s it from me, @intothemelwoods. Thanks to @thewalrus for sharing their Twitter account. You can read my story here: thewalrus.ca/this-pandemic-… 14/14

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with The Walrus

The Walrus Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @thewalrus

Mar 7, 2023
Hi, this is 2022 @TD_Canada Fellow Trisha Gregorio live tweeting @get_proof presents The Walrus Leadership Forum: Trust in Democracy! Join us to discuss who Canadians are putting their #trust in now with @BruceM1, @cathmckenna, @genevievetomney, @zainvelji @JamesMoore_org Image
It has started! Watch live at: thewalrus.ca
We're kicking things off with a presentation on the key findings from the 2023 #CanTrustIndex report by @get_proof, which you can view here: getproof.com/trust/cantrust/
Read 26 tweets
Mar 6, 2023
🧵Today, we're looking back on Steven Heighton’s most prominent pieces at The Walrus.

Read @ElisabethdeM's latest review of Heighton's novel, "Instructions for the Drowning" here: thewalrus.ca/steven-heighto…
The author of nineteen books explains why success won't make you happy thewalrus.ca/steven-heighto…
Listen to Steven Heighton read “Fake News,” in which an American bodyguard imagines taking a bullet for his president thewalrus.ca/why-i-wrote-a-…
Read 6 tweets
Mar 28, 2022
The bioenergy industry is being accused of destroying the last inland rainforests in BC to produce wood-based fuel. Critics say that, if logging rates continue, BC’s inland rainforest will experience an ecological collapse. Read more from @BrianJBarth: thewalrus.ca/wood-pellets/
Not many Canadian power plants burn wood pellets as fuel. Most of what's produced in Canada gets shipped overseas—and business is booming. Part of their popularity has to do with the way wood pellets are touted as climate friendly. thewalrus.ca/wood-pellets/ #Forestry An image of a black text on a white background, which reads:
Wood pellets may actually emit more carbon than coal. Pellet manufacturers claim to use only waste from logging—sawdust, branches, etc. Michelle Connolly, director of @Conserva_North, says that isn’t true. thewalrus.ca/wood-pellets/ #Environment #ClimateChange A woman stands between two tall trees in a snowy forest.
Read 5 tweets
Mar 2, 2022
Stay tuned for a Twitter takeover from @AndyTomHunter1 on his new book, It Was Dark There All the Time: Sophia Burthen and the Legacy of Slavery in Canada, published by @goose_lane. thewalrus.ca/canada-slavery/ 1/25
Hi there, this is @AndyTomHunter1, and I’m here to share a bit about my book on the life of Sophia Burthen—born in the 1770s, enslaved in New York, stolen at age seven, brought to Canada in 1785, and enslaved for three decades by Joseph Brant and then Samuel Hatt. 2/25 The book cover for Andrew H...
In 1855, Sophia was interviewed by Benjamin Drew of Boston for “A North-Side View of Slavery.” She appears as “Sophia Pooley” and shares details from her life in slavery and from after she took her freedom. Hers is a rare first-person account of someone enslaved in Canada. 3/25 An image of a page from an ...
Read 25 tweets
Oct 27, 2021
Hi everyone, I’m @MatthewHalliday. I recently wrote about New Brunswick’s “mystery disease,” an apparent cluster of neurological illness suspected to have sickened at least forty-eight people in the province. thewalrus.ca/new-brunswicks… 1/21 #NBPoli #Healthcare
But, right now, I want to talk about the government and scientific response that has emerged since my piece was published online last Friday. 2/21 #NBPoli #Healthcare #CdnPoli
The cluster came to public attention this March. Most cases were initially identified by one neurologist, Alier Marrero. But the cluster was not something Marrero simply invented. New Brunswick, having limited expertise, requested federal assistance. 3/21 #NBPoli
Read 21 tweets
Oct 27, 2021
Last October, a hacker gained control of a Bluetooth-enabled chastity cage and sent an unusual message to its users: “Your cock is mine now.” How secure are smart sex toys? @jduffinwolfe looks at how our private moments can come under threat. thewalrus.ca/your-sex-toy-m… 1/6
Sales of smart sex toys have surged this past year, as have security violations. Why is this happening? More here: thewalrus.ca/your-sex-toy-m… 2/6 #cybersecurity #hacking An illustration of an open pink eye surrounded by purple, bl
These devices risk a variety of breaches, from the nonconsensual gathering, release, or use of personal data to the easy discoverability of Wi-Fi or Bluetooth signals by other networked devices nearby. thewalrus.ca/your-sex-toy-m… 3/6 #Hacking #CyberSecurity
Read 6 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(