Brittany Ramos DeBarros Profile picture
May 15, 2021 10 tweets 10 min read Read on X
A thread by BRD for your consideration:

Today is #ArmedForcesDay- too often a day where politicians offer platitudes about sacrifice and gratitude while they continue to send our troops to kill and die in endless wars for profit and power- not justice or freedom. #NoMoreWar /1
They praise us at their events while they gut our healthcare and sidestep accountability for the rampant sexual assault, pollution and abuses on and around our bases. #ArmedForcesDay2021 #MilitaryMeToo #EnvironmentalJustice #AuditThePentagon 2/
They pat us on the back while they line their pockets with corporate "Defense" industry campaign donations and ignore the the hunger, houselessness, and avoidable traumas our families are grappling with. #ArmedForcesDay #22aDay #MoralInjury #HousingFirst #HousingIsAHumanRight 3/
It is comfortable to say "thank you for your service" and perpetuate the myth that my sacrifice was for freedom. When I signed up as a teenager, I believe it would be. I wish it had been. #ArmedForcesDay2021 #EndThePovertyDraft #CollegeForAll #CancelDebt /4
When I decided to begin speaking the truth knowing it could cost me, I did it because I was looking teenagers assigned to my command in the face realizing the believed the same lie over a decade later. #ArmedForcesDay #ProtectWhistleblowers /5
It is painful and courageous to acknowledge the truth- that our willingness to serve has been betrayed by the leaders we entrusted with our lives. #ArmedForcesDay2021 #VetsVsHate #VetsToTheFront #VetsForThePeople /5
If you want to support the troops, join us in rejecting this kind of plastic patriotism glorifies us to hide the ways we're exploited and abandoned. #ArmedForcesDay #DropTheMIC #EndTheWarEconomy #FightPovertyNotThePoor /6
Join us in fighting to ensure that any sacrifices we make are genuinely in service to our communities. are genuinely in service of justice and freedom, and genuinely aligned with the values we profess. #ArmedForcesDay /7
Join us in divesting from war and investing in healing our communities, and reparations to support the healing of those that we've harmed as well.
#ArmedForcesDay2021 #M4A #HealthcareIsAHumanRight /8
Truly, beyond the wellbeing of our troops, military families, and communities here and abroad, our survival depends on bold vision and transformation. #ArmedForcesDay #ClimateChange #GND
/end thread

-BRD

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Brittany Ramos DeBarros

Brittany Ramos DeBarros Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @Britt4People

Nov 22, 2023
At 22, about to deploy to our “global war on terror,” I was your guest to the SOTU. I believed I was being sent to save lives, end terrorism. I trusted and admired you.

I came home knowing I only added to the violence and people like you sent me to kill and die and for lies /1

I’m 34 now. 12 years later and I risked military prison to tell the truth about those wars but you’re still peddling the same lies, tweeting to essentially celebrate scale of death and destruction you can’t possibly fathom from your cushy office.

I wonder why? /2

You’re operating as if OUR OWN NUMBERS don’t show that terrorism increased in every single place we did military “counter-terrorism operations” for the past 20+ years which makes you either evil or grossly incompetent /3
cato.org/policy-analysi…
Read 6 tweets
Aug 23, 2022
Today I voted for myself for the United States House of Representatives in #NY11. It was an incredibly surreal feeling but what I was really voting for was our movement for justice and dignity for all. THREAD /1 Image
I’m the daughter of a loving mother who worked full-time with a baby and ROTC requirements to pay her way through college and ensure I was taken care of. She taught me compassion, determination, and joy in the face of adversity and abuse. /2 Image
I’m the biological daughter of a man raised and abused in orphanages in Puerto Rico because his family was too poor to care for him after his grandmother died. He lived a traumatic life on the streets and passed on so much of that pain to our family. But he taught me to fight. /3 Image
Read 8 tweets
Jul 31, 2022
Good morning NYC! We are two weeks from the Congressional primary elections and I know there are several important races, but only #NY11 could be the difference between keeping and losing the house!

🚨We need all hands on deck 🚨

Here’s a thread how you can help TODAY 👇🏼
Option 1 🔥 Join the text bank happening now from anywhere! mobilize.us/brittanyforcon…
Option 2 🔥 Join our day of action in Brooklyn today at 1pm and knock doors with #TeamBrittany @NYICAction, @JvpAction, @TheJewishVote, @YallaBrooklyn, @MMitaynes, and @alexaforcouncil!
mobilize.us/brittanyforcon…
Read 5 tweets
Jul 29, 2022
I’m filled with righteous rage tonight over the PACT Act so here’s a super thread of Senate Republicans voted to let Veterans just die using us for photo ops. It’s the ultimate #stolenvalor really.
@SenJohnBarrasso of WY likes to take pictures with Veterans but voted to let us die today. ImageImageImage
@MarshaBlackburn of TN likes to take pictures with Veterans but voted to let us die today. ImageImage
Read 43 tweets
Jul 28, 2022
As a Veteran, I’m in shock and struggling to find words. 3.5 million of us were exposed to toxic fumes from burn pits. Advocates for this bill have literally died waiting for it to finally come to a vote and they voted to just let us die…
I took this photo in 2013 and spent months breathing the toxic fumes and I don’t even have health insurance right now because I can’t afford it like over 2 million other Veterans (conservatively)... Image
But these so-called “pro-life” Republicans who love to wave flags and put us in their photo ops and use us as political props when it’s convenient clearly don’t care about the lives of us Veterans who have sacrificed more for their greed than any of them could possibly repay…
Read 5 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(