Jason L. Salemi, PhD, FACE Profile picture
Dec 26, 2021 15 tweets 8 min read Read on X
Quick #Christmas update on #omicron in #Florida following the @HealthyFla weekly report from yesterday.

I've borrowed an image for my dashboard that reflects how it seems spread has occurred (thanks Santa).

Let's have a quick walk-through.

1/15
Here's the overview of metrics.
- cases are surging, setting daily records, approaching new record over 7 days
- more testing than ever before
- both of the above likely underestimated between at-home tests and absence of reinfections in the daily numbers
- hosps increasing

2/15
This county-level infection rate fig blows my mind.
Only 2 weeks separates the left and right maps.

I thought my home county's (Hillsborough) 507% increase was crazy.

But check out these 2-week increases:
- Dade: 1790% (19 times higher)
- Broward: 1437%
- Palm Bch: 1167%

3/15
As I mentioned, testing higher than ever in 1 week, and likely does not include a bunch of at-home tests...

But positivity had a huge increase because the increase in cases blew the increase in testing out of the water.

4/15
Again, look at these crazy increases in positivity over the last 2 weeks:

- Dade: from 2.0% to 16.6%
- Broward: from 2.6% to 19.1%
- Palm Bch: from 2.6% to 17.1%

5/15
And when we fade back out to the state level, the comparison to 2 weeks ago is just striking.

Florida's 7-day average daily cases is 956% higher with 19,124 MORE daily cases than two weeks ago.

6/15
Not only do we have the most pronounced increase over the last 2 weeks, but we now also have the 8th highest cases per capita over the past 7 days.

7/15
The recent increases are seen in every age group, but the biggest driver has been those 20-39.

In people 20-29, the rate is higher than it's ever been, including during the delta surge.

8/15
For perspective, it took about 36 days from the initial increase in cases until we eclipsed 21,100 average daily cases during #delta.

It's happened in one-third of that time - 12 days - during #omicron.

Our 7-day avg right now is only ~500 cases below our all-time high.

9/15
Hospitalizations for COVID are going up.

But first some all-important context.

As you can see in the figure, we are nowhere near #delta's astonishing levels.

Not yet and hopefully not ever.

10/15
As @nataliexdean articulated, this may be due to #omicron having:
- younger lower-risk ppl comprise higher % of cases
- higher % of re-infections & breakthrough cases, also less likely to result in severe illness

Also, not enough time has passed.

11/15
But if we zoom in to just the month of December, avg daily admissions for confirmed COVID-19 have increased by:

- 138% in those 80+
- 110% in those 70-79
- 113% in those 60-69
- 133% in those 50-59
- 250% in those 40-49
- 225% in those 30-39

you get the idea...

12/15
Again, you can see, whether the # of adults/children currently hospitalized...

...or the # of avg daily admissions...

Regardless of #omicron's intrinsic severity, tons of new cases = a significant # of people sick enough to be hospitalized.

That ICU # also increasing.

13/15
One final look at age.

LEFT has age distribution of cases since 7/1/2021

RIGHT has age distribution of hosp patients with COVID since 7/1/2021

Significant shift to younger ages during the #omicron surge.

Hoping this, in part, reflects vax + booster effectiveness.

14/15
No publicly available data on metric breakdown by vax or prior infection status.

No updates on vax progress on CDC site since 12/23.

So that's all for now.

Hope everyone is having a safe but still wonderful Christmas.

15/15

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Jason L. Salemi, PhD, FACE

Jason L. Salemi, PhD, FACE Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @JasonSalemi

Sep 26, 2023
Brief COVID update

When speaking with NPR last week, I said the plateauing of hospitalizations for 3 weeks made me feel like a downturn was coming.

In FL, the data are suggestive of improvements in the # of people being hospitalized w/ COVID.

1/ Image
The state-specific trends in the COVID hospital census since June 1 also suggest we are seeing a recent decrease in FL (dk purple), the US as a whole (black), and a number of states.

Yes, FL still has among the highest rates, but we also have one of the oldest populations.

2/ Image
If we indeed see a prolonged decrease in COVID hospitalization census, many of the largest states, who have been below previous pandemic years, will start their decrease right as they approach (but do not exceed) 2022 rates.

3/ Image
Read 11 tweets
May 29, 2023
Sorry for the delay everyone, a lot going on personally. But I have modified my dashboard to accommodate the CDC reporting changes.

My site focuses on:
1) Hospitalization-based county risk levels
2) Detailed hosp trends
3) Deaths

with links out for wastewater, variants, vax

1/
The "Risk Indicators" page is similar to the older page, but the data upon which indicators are based has changed. There are no longer "risk levels" and "transmission levels", rather levels based exclusively on "confirmed" COVID hospital admission rates over the prior 7 days.

2/ ImageImageImageImage
The "Hospitalizations" page has not changed much. Still starts out with a Florida-centric look and then gives a lot of state- and age-specific census and admission numbers, rates, and rankings.

3/ ImageImageImageImage
Read 14 tweets
Feb 24, 2023
It's been a while since I've done a #COVID update.

These are national weekly @CDCgov "community levels" based primarily on hospitalization rates.

This past week has been the "best" since April of last year with <1% of the population living in a high-level county.

1/ Image
Of course, this comes with the following caveats according to the CDC, with likely underestimation of levels in Hawaii and Mississippi, and overestimation in several counties in Georgia and Arizona.

2/ Image
Transmission levels are likely to be grossly underreported, but as we look at them over time, are showing modest improvement (LEFT).

This is in agreement with the regional wastewater monitoring data, which also shows improvements over the last 6 weeks (RIGHT).

3/ ImageImage
Read 12 tweets
Dec 2, 2022
1/ Updated my #COVID19 dashboard - wanted to do a quick thread on some clearly emerging trends.

covid19florida.mystrikingly.com
2/ Below are adult inpatient hospital census rates for each state since May 1, 2022. Only "confirmed" (as opposed to suspected) COVID hospitalizations are included.

The orange and red coloring suggests recent increases over the past week. Image
3/ But for context, below are the inpatient census stats for adults throughout the pandemic - for most states, we remain well below the worst parts of the pandemic (not that that should be the bar we are trying to avoid). Image
Read 11 tweets
Oct 16, 2022
1/ I've continued to see graphics like the one below served as evidence that COVID vaccines do not work.

Why? Because the NUMBER of COVID-19 deaths among vax people is nearly the same (or even more than) among unvaccinated people.

Quick 11-tweet thread on why this is misleading
2/ I'm going to keep this SIMPLE. This is NOT about infection-acquired immunity vs. vax-acquired immunity. This is just about counts vs. rates.

Assume that vax efficacy is 90% in people 65+.

Monthly COVID mortality rates:
- not vaccinated (20 per 100k)
- vaccinated (2 per 100k)
3/ Assume 3 different vax realities among seniors in the US, and assume pop of 50 million.

Vax rates of 5%, 50%, and 95%.

In the figure, under each scenario, I show the vax vs. non-vax distribution of:
1. the population
2. COVID deaths
Read 12 tweets
Oct 14, 2022
@cmzimmer1803 - a few thoughts

1/ We absolutely should be concerned with the changing proportions of variants that are ESTIMATED to be circulating in recent weeks.

Due to their characteristics and increasing make-up of new cases, the pose a threat.
2/ Clearly, part of our genomic surveillance efforts are to have TIMELY information when more concerning variants are increasing in relative prevalence. In this case, it appears we lost some time (I was wondering why those variants were not yet showing up).
3/ BUT, I don't tend to jump to an accusation of something nefarious.

The beginning of the footnote states that variants circulating <1% are grouped into "other". Image
Read 6 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(