GEOAvia Profile picture
May 28, 2023 5 tweets 5 min read Read on X
The Walter Soplata Aircraft Collection deserves a long thread of its own, which I am working on. Meanwhile I am looking for one particular airplane that he had…Ahh here it is…this one. 1/5 #planespotting #avgeek #aviationdaily #aircraft #aviationlovers #aviation #milair ImageImage
Douglas Skyraider 09103 was one of several prototypes Douglas built in 1945-46. Originally called “Dauntless II” It was first designated XBT2D-1 in the USN’s clumsy pre-1946 designation system. It then became an XAD-1 Skyraider. 2/5 Image
Mr. Soplata was a visionary who saw value in acquiring important aircraft the military didn’t want. He was a working man, not rich, and was tenacious in buying and moving these relics to his Ohio farm throughout the latter half of the 20th century. 3/5 ImageImageImageImage
After his passing, his family began selling off some of the collection. This rare prototype Skyraider was one. It is now in the possession of a private owner in Pinehurst, North Carolina who is selling it on Trade-A-Plane for only USD 100 Grand. 4/5 Image
He claims it is the only one in the world that, with all his spare parts, is rebuildable to flying. A rare piece of aviation history. What do you think? Should it fly or be preserved safely on the ground in perpetuity? I have my opinion. What is yours? 5/5 ImageImageImage

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with GEOAvia

GEOAvia Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @bclemens

May 3
This B-25 at Felts Field, Spokane, Washington in 2023 is interesting but it led me to learn something even more interesting about B-25s that I didn’t know and you may not know. Sometimes the rabbit trails I follow lead me to unexpected endings. 1/8 #planespotting #milair #avgeek Image
Turns out the B-25 is owned by The Historic Flight Foundation, a museum (now closed) at Felts Field. It’s unusual for it to be out of its hangar- and then there's a DC-3 also owned by the Foundation. They're both up for sale as the museum liquidates its assets by court order. 2/8

In a complicated court case, the foundation’s founder John Sessions was found guilty of fraud on a loan against another of his business ventures, an apartment complex in Williston, North Dakota. He apparently funneled the loan money into his aircraft collection instead. 3/8 Image
Read 8 tweets
Apr 18
You never know what you will find on Facebook Marketplace. Here’s a C-119 you can own for just USD $15,000. Please follow this thread as I show you how it led me down a rabbit trail to two other interesting aircraft. It’s a long, strange trip. 1/14 #planespotting #milair Image
It is 1953 USAF C-119G 53-8073. Retired to Tucson in 1975 and quickly entered the civilian market, bought by Starbird, Inc. in 1978 for USD $12,500. flying out of Anchorage, Alaska as N9027K. In the ‘80s it went through several owners and was repossessed and sold each time. 2/14 Image
Its last flying gig was with Brooks Fuel which flew fuel oil to remote Alaskan villages. By 2009 it was parked at Ted Stevens Airport, Anchorage and has been there ever since. For $15,000 it looks a bargain, complete with engines and props. 3/14
Read 14 tweets
Apr 9
This, the last flying Martin Mars, is finally going to its forever home. Many of us were afraid it would be scrapped but a benefactor has stepped in to save it. One last flight is to come. Sproat Lake, British Columbia, Canada. 1/10 #planespotting #avgeek #aviationlovers #milair
This is one of only 5 production Martin JRM Mars built for the US Navy in WW2. They were the largest USN flying boat to enter production. Intended for long range patrol and transport, they came late in the war and their usefulness soon dwindled. The last was retired in 1956. 2/10

Each had its own name: Marianas Mars, Philippine Mars, Marshall Mars, Caroline Mars, and Hawaii Mars. On 5 April 1950, the Marshall Mars was lost near Hawaii when an engine fire consumed the airplane after her crew evacuated. 3/10
Read 10 tweets
Apr 8
On the edge of a frozen lake in northwest Greenland lies the remains of Kee Bird. A USAF B-29 that sat here in pristine condition for almost 50 years until a recovery effort in 1994 went horribly wrong. 1/11 #planespotting #avgeek #aviationdaily #aviationlovers #aviation #milair
Kee Bird is 1945 Boeing B-29B 45-21768 that was delivered so late in the war it went straight to storage at Davis Monthan. It came out of storage in 1946 and went to the 46th reconnaissance sqd., Ladd Field, Alaska for Cold War monitoring of the Soviet Union. 2/11
Redesignated F-13 (F for photograph; i.e. reconnaissance), it flew missions over the arctic, mapping northern Greenland and also searching for any Soviet military activity in this uninhabited area. 3/11

Read 11 tweets
Feb 15
These six MiG-29s have been stored here at Marculesti Air Base, Moldova since 1997. Ukrane wanted them when Russia invaded, catching Moldova on the horns of a dilemma. 1/7 #planespotting #avgeek #aviationdaily #aircraft #aviationlovers #milair

Moldova received approximately 34 MiG-29’s with the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991. Proving too expensive to maintain, they were sold off to Eritrea, Yemen, and in a 1997 deal to keep them out of Iranian hands, 21 were bought by the United States. 2/7

This left the Moldovan Air Force with eight airframes. Trying to sell them didn’t work out and in 2011 the 8 were sent to Belarus for upgrading. These six returned, as Belarus kept two to pay for the work. They were parked in flyable condition and left here, not maintained. 3/7
Read 7 tweets
Dec 11, 2023
“Flying Tigers Airport” is a tiny grass strip in Northeastern Texas. The airport owner has passed away. He collected and flew aircraft for Universal Studios. A couple sad relics are still visible here. 1/10 #planespotting #avgeek #aviationdaily #aircraft #aviationlovers #milair

Let’s begin with the Provost. Percival 84 Jet Provost T.3A began life with the RAF as XN471 in 1960. Upon retirement it came to the U.S. civilian market and was registered in 1993 as N471XN. In ’97 it landed gear-up at Colorado Springs and never flew again. 2/10 Image
Unknown when it arrived in pieces here at Flying Tigers. 3/10
Read 10 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(