finding patterns in news. distributed systems. machine learning. music. Bible. not in this order. English and فارسی
background: Stalker - Andrei Tarkovsky
7 added to My Authors
Feb 28 • 7 tweets • 2 min read
🧵 5th day of the Ukraine war - a brief roundup👇
1/ As for the financial markets and economic impact, today was a bloodbath:
- Putin banned citizens and companies to transfer money abroad
- Russian stock exchange was meant to open today but it didn't. In fact, it was announced tomorrow will stay closed
Feb 28 • 6 tweets • 2 min read
It is a workday hence I just get the lunchtime to tweet - so here is the 🧵 Lunchtime Roundup on the War in Ukraine:
1) Kharkiv is being punished for its resistance with a barrage of MLRS (Grad and Smerch). Reports of dozens of civilian casualties. Very graphic footages of the slain coming out (not this one), which I would not include.
They are creating another Aleppo.
Feb 27 • 7 tweets • 2 min read
🧵4th day of the conflict Russia/Ukraine - Summary roundup: 👇
1) Waking up this morning to news of Russian forces with light armour in Kharkiv. Hours later we saw the remaining debris of those vehicles and mop-up operation cleared the Russian forces. Kharkiv is still in Ukrainian control.
Rapport has jumped up from the crowded 2760-3 pack and now among the top 10 of the world. #chess
Can Alireza "Firo" Firouzja pull a similar with two rounds remaining from #NorwayChess ? He will be playing against the bottom (fellow Iranian Aryan Tari) and top, Rapport.
Yes, in fact Norwegian Aryan Tari is actually Aryan "Taheri", son of Iranian parents (perhaps changed names after emigrating to Norway).
If you cannot read the whole thread, here are the takeaways:
- The health system already imploded under load
- Patients admitted on the floor of hospitals
- Shortage of coffins and morgue vehicles let alone beds
- Iran theocracy does not back down from Moharram ceremonies
Aug 10, 2021 • 13 tweets • 5 min read
#Thread How to make a full blown protest out of absolutely nothing (a pretty harmless video) - Iranian Style
Junqan, a town with the population of 14K, in Chaharmahal and Bakhtiari province. Most Iranians had not heard its name before today.
This man, admittedly brave and named Habib Fadaee, went on a soapbox 20 days ago to state his support for the people of Khuzestan and their protests.
The video was circulated in the social media although we did not know much more. Obviously people forgot about it.
Aug 2, 2021 • 19 tweets • 6 min read
I know I am sounding like a broken record now, but Iran's health system is experiencing a crisis not seen before, due to COVID's 5th wave.
Universal shortage of beds, ventilator, ICU and even saline drips across the country. Casualties mounting.
This is a hospital in the southern province of Bushehr. Patients on the floor receiving oxygen.
If the 3rd wave were a 7 Richter earthquake, this is surely above than 8.
Look guys - THE SITUATION IN THE MIDDLE EAST IS PRETTY SERIOUS.
(I know you might say when it wasn't but we are talking risk of a big conflict)
The thread on the reports from the last 24 hours: /0
On the Iranian side, I have seen anecdotal comments from tweeps close to IRGC that "the big fight" is very close and mothers should prepare for the martyrdom of their sons.
[Prefer not to include the tweets]
Dec 30, 2020 • 4 tweets • 2 min read
So far what we have seen is a ton of preparation and warning against any sort of conflict.
Before I start the usual coverage, with a heavy heart, have to have a brief report on #NavidAfkari, the executed prisoner in Iran which has caused an International outcry.
Navid Afkari along with his two brothers were arrested in late summer 2018 allegedly during protests but then later charged with killing of an IRGC Baseej member.