As someone who has worked for 4-5 years on the ground as a journalist, let me confess getting 2-3 quotes for the line of argument you want to create through a report is NOT DIFFICULT.
People often see what they want to, and start believing that as a Universal truth.
This is what exactly happened with most parachuted journalists. @sagarikaghose "found" a Hindu hotel and thought Hindutva is taking over Bengal. She also suggested Didi has not yet matured in politics that's her tragedy😂😂😂
Wonder who needs to mature now.
May 3, 2021 • 4 tweets • 1 min read
*Number of Muslim MLAs in West Bengal Down from 59 to 43*
Muslims of Bengal stood united to defeat the communal, anti-people, fascist forces. But in the processes, the number of Muslim MLAs has drastically come down from the last two times.
Only 43 Muslim MLAs have won so far out of 292 seats (elections in 2 seats are still left) against 59 in 2016 and 2011.
Out of these 43 candidates, 42 won from the TMC. This is highest from a single party.
Dec 8, 2020 • 21 tweets • 4 min read
THREAD on how economically Muslims maybe poorer (the state is overall also not as rich) in #Bengal but have relatively got socio-political empowerment (part of Threads I am writing for the understanding of Bengal politics in the context of upcoming assembly election):
The socio-economic status of Muslims in the state is far behind other communities as the Sachar Committee Report (2006) and Pratichi-SNAP’s “Living Reality of Muslims in West Bengal” (2016) attest.
Dec 5, 2020 • 5 tweets • 2 min read
Seems many people are riled up for the use of the word 'messiah' (in small letters) asking me when did Barrister Sb claim to be a Messiah or finding religious context to it. I never thought I would need to do this, but never mind, read this quick thread if you are interested. 1/5
(Let us first understand the reasons behind his popularity)
Most mainstream political parties and liberals accuse AIMIM and Owaisi of radicalizing and promoting extremism among Muslims as they are wary of losing even Muslim votes which they almost always take for granted.
Jul 13, 2020 • 10 tweets • 2 min read
1) THREAD on *The League of Militant Atheists*
How many of you have heard the name of one of the important arms of the Soviet regime - Soyuz Voinstvushchikh Bezbojnikov or the “Union of Militant Godless People”, also called the "League of Militant Atheists"?
2) The League was purportedly formed to fight "religious bigots" across the Soviet Union, from orthodox Christians to Muslims.
They brought out a newspaper Bezbozhnik (Godless, Atheist) in several languages between 1922 and 1941.
Apr 24, 2020 • 43 tweets • 13 min read
1) THREAD on how Hindutva Zealots Harming India’s Goodwill in Muslim World, also trying to explain (put in perspective) why suddenly Arabs Twitterati (and SM influencers) are criticizing India (based on my article in @HeadlinesBeyondbeyondheadlines.in/2020/04/are-hi… )
2) Sample this tweet by self-proclaimed Hindutva-nationalist-patriot @Payal_Rohatgi. Hindutva trolls like her are harming India's interests and damaging its relations with Arab countries by sharing such Fake News and other Islamophobic contents.
Advocate @AmanWadud called me a while ago and informed me that the Supreme Court has reduced the duration of detention from 3 to 2 years and also relaxed the conditions (bond surety charges) for those declared foreigners in Assam.
Petitioners had appealed for release of all "declared foreigners" from detention centres irrespective of duration and dispensing with the conditions of financial surety.
Still, this order implies that many of those arbitrarily declared foreigners will come out earlier.
Mar 30, 2020 • 17 tweets • 6 min read
1) THREAD on positive cases found from the people who attended #TablighiJamat gathering in #Nizamuddin, and the high decibel REACTION of the people.
2) Below I have attached screenshots of news reports of a Sikh Guru who might have spread the Corona-virus as he held religious gatherings, a celebrity singer who has definitely spread the virus in a party and has tested positive already....
Jan 26, 2020 • 52 tweets • 9 min read
1) TREAD on the raging controversy surrounding #SharjeelImam (@_imaams ) based on the article I wrote in @HeadlinesBeyondbeyondheadlines.in/2020/01/are-yo…2) I woke up on Saturday afternoon to several messages on social media platforms sending video/stories by right-wing media/tweets on a short clip of Sharjeel Imam (IIT alumnus and PhD scholar at JNU) ...
May 22, 2019 • 8 tweets • 2 min read
1)Many International publications and some Indian contributors too have been writing on how if BJP wins again, it will be doomsday for India's Muslims.
MY TAKE IN THIS THREAD
2) I do not know who is forming the government, we will know tomorrow. But if exit polls are any indications, let me put it on record that India's Muslims are the most resilient community, we have seen the worst forms of discriminations post-partition.
This is second time that #Google dedicated a Doodle to him. In 2012 too, #Khayyam’s 964th birthday was also celebrated by the search engine with a special #doodle2) Here is from my PhD Dissertation:
A contemporary of #Ghazali, #OmarKhayyam was one of the most versatile scholars of the time, simultaneously a polymath, philosopher and a poet.
Dec 29, 2018 • 34 tweets • 8 min read
On Thursday, #LokSabha passed the contentious #TripleTalaqBill criminalizing instant #talaq (divorce) by #Muslim men, with a jail term of up to three years for the husband. In this THREAD I try to break down different scenarios for you to understand its consequences:
Consider the following different scenarios when a Husband pronounces Triple Talaq instantly:
1) An intoxicated or/and angry husband pronounces 3 talaqs at one go. He later realises his follies and seeks fatwa from ulama as the couple want to stay together