Let's look at what is happening on the ground.
Healthcare in India is 4 layered.
1. Family doctor/GP - single doctor clinic set up
2. Specialists - one or more doctors + paramedical staff - clinic set up
3. Hospitals - for admitting
4. Laboratories - for investigations of blood, urine, xray, monograph, scan, etc - small private set up and large corporates.
Most imp point to remember is - present govt strategy is to seal and quarantine a facility with staff where Covid positive person is found.
Let's look at this in some detail -
Small clinics have no staff to manage queue, sanitation and social distancing. PPE should be available as FULL KIT for the doctor as they have no way of knowing who is positive but has no covid symptoms.
Without FULL PPE doctor is exposed and vulnerable. Present guidelines say surgical mask + distancing is sufficient.
IS IT, REALLY? Then why are politicians and senior
Unless this issue is solved and harassment after finding covid positive patient is stopped, your family doctor CAN NOT function in community.
Telemedicine and active communication with Layer 1and 4 can take care of lot of work even in present conditions. Easing travel bans inside city is crucial for in person specialist work to happen. Police need to find a reliable and quick way for this.
Fear of seal down , quarantine for staff and punitive action if Covid positive patient is treated here (inadvertently) keeps hospital owners on tenterhooks.
1. Full PPE and volunteer assistance to ALL family doctors, hospital doctors and nurses.
2. Instantaneous travel pass between two geolocation for patient and staff travel.
3. Some reasonable protection for good faith
Presently administration is trying to CREATE an entirely alternative system of covid/flu/fever clinics, non covid clinics , non covid hospitals, etc.
This WILL fail (already failing) as 80% are asymptomatic +ves.
Creation of alternate system on threats in the middle of a pandemic is NOT going to work.
Red Zones like Pune, Mumbai, Delhi, etc will need longterm measures. 3rd May is not some magical deadline for corona virus. Covid protection plan does not need to cause death of other patients.