Nicolas Tenzer Profile picture
Sep 18, 2022 10 tweets 7 min read Read on X
Always remember the genocide of the Tatars of #Crimea.
Also always talk about the forced disappearances, torture, persecution of #Tatars and the destruction of their culture by Putin's #Russia since 2014.
Also do not write off Crimea.
Right time to write a #thread on #Crimea.
1/9
1 Some consider Crimea a side issue. No, in terms of law #CrimeaIsUkraine and Western leaders must be consistent with their statements on Crimea's territorial integrity. It comprehends Crimea.
Full stop.
2/9
2 Let's stop with the lying "Crimea is Russian" speech. Besides the fact that it has not always been, the historical legitimization has no value. Only international law counts.
The annexation of Crimea had only one precedent in Europe since WWII: the Sudetenland by Hitler.
3/9
3 Moreover, Crimea voted for independence from #Ukraine in 1991.
Please do not mention the pseudo-referendum of 2014, conducted under threat, and whose result was never recognized by the international community.
The EU far right rushed there to supposedly observe... Bastards!
4/9
4 Narrative also heard: "For #Russia, Crimea is Russian and part of its vital interests".
First reaction: so what?
Second: let's stop buying the Russian propaganda speech. Let's also stop buying the perception it seeks to impose of its alleged #redlines. Let's pulverize them!
5/9
See also how little reaction there was when the Russian bases in Crimea were attacked and and the Russian tourists panicked and left this peninsula which is not theirs.
Joyful humiliation. And then?
6/9
5 From a military point of view, it is not excluded (not for sure) that Crimea can be reconquered even before the Donbass. We had this discussion in Prague (@Forum_2000) with @PavloKlimkin during a panel. Pavlo and I fully agreed to consider this hypothesis.
7/9
6 Strategically, no doubt the #Crimea matters to #Russia (notably Sevastopol), but it also matters to #Ukraine and the Allies.
We must stop systematically and first of all placing ourselves on the side of a Russian point of view.
Have we learned nothing?
8/9
7 As for the rest of #Ukraine, giving Kyiv all the means to reconquer Crimea is also a way to stop Russian exactions against the civ.ilian population. Time is of the essence.
It is not incidental, either in terms of values or in strategic terms.
#SaveTheUkrainians
9/9
Of #Ukraine, of course (sorry for the misprint).

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Nicolas Tenzer

Nicolas Tenzer Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @NTenzer

May 12
Ten theses.
A thread.
🧵
1 We're at war with Russia, not because we've declared it, but because it's waging war on us.
#OurWar
2 Russia is waging a war of extermination. That's just a fact.
It's a war without limits, neither in time nor in space.
3 With a radical enemy, there can be no negotiation. Any negotiation means both more crime — in fact, it's a license to kill given to Putin, especially in the Russian-ruled areas of Ukraine — and more insecurity.
Read 10 tweets
Apr 30
As those of you who have been following me for some time know, April 30 is a special day for me.
On that day in 1945, the #Ravensbrück concentration camp was liberated. My mother, Martha Tenzer, a resistance fighter in Belgium who had been arrested by the Gestapo in 1943,...
1/8 Image
was “celebrating” her 25th birthday there.
She would have turned 104 today.
She had joined the Resistance at the age of 20, and was Jewish. Fortunately, her false papers concealed her origin.
When she was liberated and handed over to the Red Cross of Sweden,...
2/8 Image
where she spent long months convalescing, she weighed 30 kg and was suffering from numerous illnesses (typhus, turberculosis...). She survived.
After the war, she was one of the first women to enter the Belgian diplomatic service (closed to women before the war).
3/8 Image
Read 8 tweets
Oct 4, 2023
So wonderful to listen again to the awesome @avalaina, Nobel Peace Prize, whom I met in Kyiv last July, today at @WarsawForum #WSF interviewed by @AslanTV.
She rightly emphasized the lack of bravery of the world leaders.
Some edited extracts in this #thread.
1/7 Image
"I wish no one had to experience what we're experiencing now with Russia's absolute war against the Ukrainian people since February 2014.
We already had so many stories of people who survived captivity and the worst tortures that we documented.
We must never get used to this.
2/7 Image
The @IntlCrimCourt will only be able to try a limited number of cases of war criminals and criminals against humanity, but we have tens of thousands. This risks limiting accountability. Yet we cannot refuse to dispense justice. We'll just have to find a way to do it.
3/7
Read 7 tweets
Apr 30, 2023
Today, as every year on April 30, I commemorate the liberation of the #Ravensbrück concentration camp—78 yrs ago.
On that day, my mother, who was there, was "celebrating" her 25th birthday.
I pay tribute to her today.
On that day, Hitler killed himself in his bunker.
#Thread
1/13 ImageImage
Mom was a member of the #Resistance in Belgium. She was arrested by the Gestapo in 1943 after her network was denounced. She went from prison to prison as a Nacht und Nebel political prisoner.
Her false papers concealed her Jewish origins.
Her last stop was #Ravensbruck.
2/13 Image
When she was released, she was suffering from typhus and tuberculosis and weighed 30 kilos.
She was taken in by the Swedish Red Cross and gradually recovered in #Sweden.
Forever my gratitude to the wonderful persons who took care of her.
3/13 Image
Read 13 tweets
Feb 26, 2023
Some reminders in the form of a short #thread.
1 Democratic leaders should avoid talking about "peace talks" or "peace agreements" even in the distant future, at least as long as Putin's regime, or the equivalent, is in place.
Period.
1/6
🧵
2 Let's stop lending any interest to supposed #mediation attempts. We do not need a mediator. We need to ensure #Ukraine's victory. That's all there is to it.
Western governments should stop with this desire to be deceived all the time.
2/6
3 Let's stop fussing about #securityguarantees for Ukraine. It needs a NATO+. It deserves it and @NATO would benefit from it too. All its territories must be liberated.
I do not suggest buying the sometimes-heard thesis of a guarantee on a part of the territories.
3/6
Read 6 tweets
Feb 11, 2023
Itw superbement menée par @ilasserre avec @ZelenskyyUa
"Le monde ne parlera plus de la même manière à la Russie. Les Occidentaux vont devoir revoir leur politique 🇷🇺, même si un autre dirigeant arrive au pouvoir à Moscou. Vous devez changer de vision."
lefigaro.fr/international/…
"L'escalade, ce sont les Russes qui en sont responsables. Ils ont torturé, assassiné, enterré des gens vivants. Je savais par les livres que ce genre de meurtres & atrocités de masse existait. Je ne pouvais pas imaginer que cela puisse se reproduire dans le monde d'aujourd'hui"
"Concernant les partenaires qui m'ont prévenu, qu'ont-ils fait pour l'éviter ? Que nous ont-ils donné depuis 2014? Qu'ont-ils fait pour éviter une attaque? Pourquoi l'Otan ne s'est-elle pas engagée si elle savait une invasion probable ? Ts les efforts diplomatiques ont échoué."
Read 7 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(