Arjun G. Shah Profile picture
Dec 29, 2022 11 tweets 11 min read Read on X
Resources to study #Neurology

Adams and Victor’s. By far my favourite textbook.
The book is more clinically oriented, coloured with anecdotes and mental models. Reading it feels like seeing a pt in the ward/OPD

#MedTwitter #neurotwitter
It has elements of philosophy, history and is written eloquently.
Whimsical, yet profound, it’s teachings stay with me. Added bonus, my Guru in Neurology finds mention in the text 🙃 I’d recommend this for #mbbs #md and #dm students
Bradley is the standard #textbook in #neurology. A great book, it’s more like #Harrison. Great for information, latest research and management. Essential for the DM #neurology candidate, but also useful for MD #internalmedicine
For Nerve Muscle I’d recommend these three. Prof Khadilkar’s (another Guru of mine) book is an essential gem for DM candidates. Shapiro to learn #electrophysiology NCS, EDx. have an interest in nerve muscle so Amato . These are for DM and physicians convinced they want #neuro
This is a book I picked up in #MBBS and fell in love with #neurology 3 chapters in and I was convinced I would do nothing else. Highly recommended for #mbbs #md #dm anyone!
For #epilepsy Panayiotopoulos is the best. Love the descriptions of #seizures in the patients own words. Fenichel is great for #paediatrics and #pediatric neurology, especially for someone like me with an Internal Medicine broad speciality
For #movementdisorders I like Jankovic and this Review by IAN is great! Love books with an Indian perspective.
#clinical neurology
Bickerstaff for MBBS
DeJong’s for MD
Brazis for DM

#medicalstudent #textbook
For #NeuroRad there’s Osborn’s Brain. It’s vast and 3 parts. Essential for #radiology and #neurorad, important topics for Neurology (still vast😆)
For #dementia which is the long case in neurology exams, Jose is succinct. Special mention to this textbook by the great Prof NH Wadia, first HOD of my Department and Father of Indian Neurology. Books with an Indian perspectives are as Sir Alex Ferguson would say “rare birds”
Over and above this there are numerous resources like #uptodate and @ContinuumAAN which are essential companions.
I prefer physical books. The texture, the smell, writing my experiences in the margins with my 0.35mm pen
Hope this helps @AdiG1993 !

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Arjun G. Shah

Arjun G. Shah Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @neurogenicpoet

Jun 28
Learning Neurology from Books

One can read about Absence Seizures from a plethora of Neurology textbooks, but the best description of the semiology of absence seizures I have ever read is not from a neurology textbook but Russian literature! (1/n) Image
The great Fyodor Dostoevsky himself unfortunately suffered from epilepsy and indeed epilepsy comes up in most of his stories. He was well acquainted with the disease!

The best description of Absence Seizures comes in The Brothers Karamazov. The patient is Smerdyakov Image
I shall quote from the translation by Constance Garnett, the most wonderful description of the illness Image
Read 10 tweets
May 22
Organising Your Neurology Diagnosis

The “NAPE” System

Neurology can initially seem daunting, but it’s the most logical system to analyse once you get the hang of it!

The NAPE System is an easy way to organise your thoughts

🧵
N: Neurodeficit
A: Anatomical Location
P: Pathogenesis
E: Etiology
Lets take the example of a patient (27/Lady) who has come to you with a history of weakness of lower limbs since the past 1 week, that has progressed over that week
Read 32 tweets
Feb 15
How To Find Patterns (and personalities?!) in Diseases to make a Diagnosis.

See this video, and think about it for a while.

Think about it and make your observations.
For the sake of this discussion, let us cut to the chase. I will give you the diagnosis first, and together we will reverse engineer the case.
This gentleman has a pure motor weakness, that localises to the muscle. The final diagnosis Inclusion Body Myositis (IBM), a type of Inflammatory Myositis.
Read 17 tweets
Jan 10
How To Work Up a Case and Arrive at a Diagnosis

An illustrative guide on working up problems...

A nervous father comes to you with his little girls. One is 7 and the other is 4... (1/n)
He says ever since they were able to walk, he has noticed that they keep falling over.
When they walk, they sway precariously from side to side.

When their mother mother offers them a sweet, they find it difficult to grab it.
Clearly, this is an ataxia, and the battlefield here is the cerebellem.

(But you already figured that out when the older girl swayed into the clinic.)
Read 36 tweets
Nov 30, 2023
I asked the is lady what’s in my hand and she said “pen”.
Correct.

But when I asked her to take it, this is what happened…

Pause and think. What’s happening here
If you thought Cerebellar ataxia, it’s incorrect!
This is a rare symptom.

Despite seeing, she is not able to reach the target.
There is a clumsiness in OBJECT BOUND movement, despite visual input.
OPTIC ATAXIA
We then took a walk in our Ward 23 and I asked her to look outside the window and tell me to describe the scene.

All she noticed was trees.
What is this ?
Read 7 tweets
Nov 22, 2023
The Fiercest Medical College Rivalry
The JJ (Grant Medical College) and KEM (Seth GS) rivalry was once as fierce as India and
Pakistan or Manchester United and Liverpool. Gryffindor vs Slytherin! Image
This old violent tradition has regrettably mollified
over the years, yet remains a shining part of these two institutes that combined share 3 centuries of fine history!
We (the authors allegiance is with JJ) are known to be street smart. Jugaadu back benchers. They are known to be book smart. Academicians. The well read toppers!
Read 15 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(