Oct 16 - Tehran, #Iran
Retired government & Health ministry employees, including nurses, are now holding a protest rally outside the Plan & Budget Organization office building. #IranProtests
Oct 16 - Tehran, #Iran
Retired government & Health ministry employees, including nurses, have gathered from across the country to protest outside the Plan & Budget Organization office building. #IranProtests
Oct 16 - Zanjan, NW #Iran
Taxi drivers are on strike & rallying outside the provincial governor's office. #IranStrikes
2) “The Trump administration seems determined to cut Iran off from the global financial system. As it reimposes sanctions on the regime next month, it may take aim at the Swift messaging network that enables cross-border payments worldwide. This is a bad idea.”
3) What is SWIFT?
“SWIFT stands for the Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunications. It is a messaging network that financial institutions use to securely transmit information and instructions through a standardized system of codes.” investopedia.com/articles/perso…
1) The Trump administration warns world’s banks that Tehran might try to use duplicitous means to soften the sanctions’ bite and continue to fund terrorism. nytimes.com/2018/10/11/us/…
2) “’Any country that allows its central bank to be involved in deception in support of terrorism requires the highest levels of scrutiny, particularly when the country itself is the world’s largest state sponsor of terrorism,’ said U.S. Treasury Undersecretary Sigal Mandelker.”
3) “The warning is part of a coordinated campaign by the administration to persuade banks and corporations around the world to sever all commercial ties with Iran…”
2) @StevenErlanger discusses Europe “trying to preserve the nuclear accord” by setting up “an alternative payment mechanism that would sidestep the American-dominated banking system,” to prevent the U.S. & Israel from “starting a war.”
Both are deliberate exaggerations.
3) The “alternative payment mechanism,” dubbed by the Europeans as a “Special Payment Vehicle,” remains wishful thinking and largely symbolic. ft.com/content/6eef94…
Belgian prosecutors have raised charges against a senior diplomat of #Iran, along with three other individuals linked to planning to bomb a June rally held in Paris by the main Iranian opposition coalition NCRI (@iran_policy). reuters.com/article/us-eur…
2) "The diplomat, identified only by his given name as Assadollah A., worked at the Iranian embassy in Vienna."
3) Assadi was “deprived of his diplomatic status within 48 hours because of the existence of a European arrest warrant" against him," according to a Austrian Foreign Ministry issued back in early July. english.mojahedin.org/i/iranian-dipl…
“Iran should immediately and unconditionally end the use of the death penalty for crimes committed by children under age 18, and move toward a complete ban on capital punishment.” hrw.org/news/2018/02/0…
2) "Criminal networks are using Iran as a transit point for illicit Somali charcoal exports that earn Islamist militants al Shabaab millions of dollars annually in tax, U.N. sanctions monitors said in a report seen by Reuters."
3) "... domestic revenue generation by al Qaeda-affiliated al Shabaab 'is more geographically diversified and systematic' than that of Somalia’s federal government."
Reports indicate atmosphere in #Iran's parliament (the Majlis) is very tense as members review the anti-money laundering Financial Action Task Force (FATF) signing bill.
Sources say "hardliners" are voicing threats about the signing of this bill.
"Regarding the FATF, should we commit suicide today by signing this bill because we're going to die in the future?" says Behrouz Nemati, a member of #Iran's Majlis (parliament).
3) "Hardliners in Iran’s parliament have opposed passing legislation toward compliance with FATF standards, arguing it could hamper Iranian financial support for allies such as Lebanon’s Hezbollah, which the US has classified as a terrorist organization." reuters.com/article/us-ira…
"It did not say where Zahedifar was arrested. In a video carried by state broadcaster IRIB, a blindfolded man who identified himself as Zahedifar denied he had fled Iran." uk.reuters.com/article/uk-ira…
Villages near Nowshahr in northern #Iran are witnessing floods.
Locals say authorities have failed to take any measures to provide aid.
Vast destruction reported in Mazandaran Province, northern #Iran
The ruling regime has destroyed the country's infrastructure, resulting in enormous difficulties for the people after storms.
Ramsar, northern #Iran
Safarood Road destroyed due to rains.
Locals say authorities have failed to dispatch any units to provide desperately needed emergency aid to the flood-stricken towns & villages.