I mean, just look at him. Walt lost the rights to OTLR & then re-created him as MM!
Here is an awesome book by @dave_bossert that pretty much covers everything about OTLR:
1) Are any of those little bunnies Oswald's kids?
2) How does this trolley work? Tickets? Oswalt assaults a passenger!
3) Cows on tracks, always?
Maybe he gets lucky later on, but the original concept is that this bunny is put upon; bad luck at home, bad luck at work, occasionally ingenius
Also, the trolley track is insane. Whoever built this is at fault.
Krazy: George Herriman, A Life in Black and White!
• a panties joke
• a mama pig & her son sequence that feels unrelated to the main action
• public transportation in the Oswaldverse is insane, just like in the previous film
The "school" thread doesn't feel important in this one. The title feels off, too. The love triangle is all that matters
ALSO: Oswald's head comes off & he rides letters like a horse
• his girlfriend is fickle & easily impressed
• just like in the previous short, Oswald removes his own foot for luck
The alarm clock goes off. OTLR fights with it. He then tries to wake up the cow
The fact that this cow is mechanical is a SLOW reveal & I'm not sure I would've known for sure without the title
They have a slide instead of stairs
Who built this mechanical cow? Oswald? Who chose to make him sentient? Have the makers of @WestworldHBO watched this?
WHERE DOES THE MILK COME FROM?
Why a working tongue?
So many more questions...
A hat FLOATS out of the taxi & reveals itself to be a weird monster hiding in the hat! Fanny & Oswald have switched places for some reason so it is confusing who he grabs at first, but it is Fanny. He kidnaps her! There are many monsters + gunfire
ALSO: Comedy rule of 3's in full effect when Oswald's pants get pulled down repeatedly
This cow deserves its own series with full backstory but I fear this is the last we may see of this complicated sentient invention
He demonstrates killing and marching and it excites her. They kiss, and there is some sadness.
First impression: OTLR is not a good soldier. Then again, I have no idea if this is a just war. Maybe this is fine!
2) double death gag
3) repeat cannon ejaculation gag
Fantastic plane-to-plane slapfight ensues, leading to a double crash & fisticuffs on the ground:
After this, some sort of authority figure shows up, and it feels like it shifts from a wartime scenario to a police concern. But before too long a cannon is in the mix, so definitely wartime.
1) OTLR rides a cannonball through the air and then uses an elephant AS a cannon
2) what happens to the elephant is horrifying
3) what happens to OTLR is horrifying
4) the ending surprised me, and gives the short a satisfying structure
This one is the first OTLR short not to have its own Wikipedia page! Why not? Someone (not me) should do something about it! Use info from @dave_bossert's book!
He also removes his own ears & uses them as weapons to beat mice who try to steal hot dogs
Unbelievably, this short is about to start NOT being about hot dogs. I could've watched a lot more of this.
Also, online descriptions of this short name the villain with the peg-leg "Pete." Is that a thing people have done retroactively, or did Disney actually just *take* Peg-Leg Pete with him after losing the rights to Oswald?
• pretty early example of the classic "walk past the edge of the cliff but don't experience gravity UNTIL u realize u are walking on air" gag
• those mice are just riding a weiner dog & jumping on him but are happy 2 help turn him into an airplane
• it's interesting that they gave pete a peg-leg but then he spends the rest of the short sitting in the cockpit
• this short could easily be a Mickey. Or a Porky!
• how did OTLR catch up after Pete switched the signs? I am claiming this as an example of his "luck."
• OTLR is shot down! He lands but we do not see his weiner dog airplane land. I assume (s)he/it is fine.
I wish that @Disney would just release these online as soon as they are restored so people could see them.
@Disney, why not release it this holiday season? It's a silent short from 1927, I can't think of a single good reason not to release it now
(Or, if anyone out there has it, send me a copy!)
I think this poster was in one of the @Disney books I pored over as a kid (The Art Of Disney by Finch, maybe?) so I spent a lot of time staring at this image, wondering.
Release it please!
The last time Oswald was with an elephant it ended up exploding so all that was left was 4 legs which ran away together.
• great naked running w/his short pants running to catch up
• 3 lions chasing an elephant is scary to me
• These are the character names I see online, they are not used in the short itself
• Pete EATS his cigar, the main reason to root against him
• I like how their cars are alive but I miss The Mechanical Cow
• song selections include "Hot Lips" & "Hot Mama"
• secret surprise pig! Can you guess what is a pig before it reveals itself?
• Oswald's titular rival is MIA for most of this film
• rival finally shows up
• they pull her arms and what happens is upsetting
• some nice dog shows up; OTLR & Pete both fail, volunteer to kick one other in the ass, forever
• Oswald's ears are secretly the tops of his legs!
• if you smash Oswald, he turns into several smaller Oswalds!
CANNOT. BE. DESTROYED!
A jaguar appears through the side opening. What is this little box for? Whose job is it to guard this? Not tall security dog! He works the stage door! None of what follows is Oswald's fault.
This was a disaster just waiting to happen.
If you ask me, OTLR inadvertently exposed multiple security weaknesses AND architectural flaws & possibly saved lives.
The train stops, a weiner dog cop chases them. Eventually, Pete puts out the ass fire with his spit
THIS IS SOMETHING I HAVE NEVER BEFORE SEEN IN A CARTOON:
1) dismantle car
2) make an organ by stuffing a dog & a cat & a pig into a box
3) transform Oswald into a monkey
4) pretend to be an organ grinder w/monkey while abusing dog & cat & pig
The plan works for 30 seconds.
There are some who might think they get killed by that big lion and that the final moments are a death hallucination while they are being mauled
This is it! The last film available for my Oswald thread, unless I've missed one. There are several more that have been found/restored by @Disney but remain unavailable to the public & quite a few that are "lost" which will hopefully be found soon!
No idea why this film was called "Tall Timber."
I'm pretty sure if they wanted to, they could release the remaining ones TODAY. Do it, Disney!!