, 10 tweets, 2 min read Read on Twitter
I am not surprised but very disappointed to see the quotes from County Executive @Marc_Elrich at today’s #HANDAM19 affordable housing conference. I strongly disagree with his statements. I’ve heard them before. A thread:
Montgomery County is a special place because we have a generous spirit and a strong sense of the public good. We care about the world we live in and we want to work together to create opportunity and a better world.
“Missing middle” housing needs are REAL. Despite Elrich’s comment that middle income housing is plentiful, the middle class is very squeezed. The Elrich policy of saying NO to everything will only worsen our affordability problems and make it harder for us to be our best.
How are we going to grow a strong economy if working families can’t afford to live here? Why shouldn’t we build housing so that a lab tech or a gov employee can afford to live here? Why does he keep saying that only people at 30% of AMI have any legitimate problem?
Missing middle housing is specifically intended to create more affordable housing types. For example, Accessory Dwelling Units or ADUs. Unfortunately Elrich is actively whipping up opposition, even calling ADUs “trailers.”
One quote isn’t totally clear, but seems like Elrich is dismissing benefit of new buildings with 30% of the units set aside in our MPDU affordable program since the other 70% are market rate (“luxury” he says).
Our MPDU program is a national model that builds economic integration into new development. It’s one of the few tools to get affordable units in the most expensive areas where they create the most opportunity. And many MPDUs are available to those at 30% of AMI with vouchers.
As for that “zoning thing,” plans for zoning that require new development to create even more affordable housing are also on his NO list: Lyttonsville, Bethesda, Chevy Chase Lake, & Veirs Mill. All included substantial affordable housing components in public private partnership.
And in his first budget as County Executive, he proposed cutting the County’s Housing Initiative Fund by $5m, where we provide loans for affordable housing. Fortunately the Council restored those funds.
Marc's views on housing don't represent a consensus in Montgomery County.
Missing some Tweet in this thread?
You can try to force a refresh.

Like this thread? Get email updates or save it to PDF!

Subscribe to Hans Riemer
Profile picture

Get real-time email alerts when new unrolls are available from this author!

This content may be removed anytime!

Twitter may remove this content at anytime, convert it as a PDF, save and print for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video

1) Follow Thread Reader App on Twitter so you can easily mention us!

2) Go to a Twitter thread (series of Tweets by the same owner) and mention us with a keyword "unroll" @threadreaderapp unroll

You can practice here first or read more on our help page!

Follow Us on Twitter!

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just three indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3.00/month or $30.00/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Too expensive? Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal Become our Patreon

Thank you for your support!