, 10 tweets, 5 min read
My Authors
Read all threads
It looks like my colleagues @WhipClyburn and @RonWyden are in backdoor negotiations to systematically destroy my #OpportunityZones initiative. Y'all know me and I'm going to be completely frank here — they're only doing this because it has the support of @realDonaldTrump.
This is the second misguided attempt by Congressional Democrats in the last two weeks to wreck the #OpportunityZone initiative under the guise of ‘improvement.’ Word on the street is that The Squad is coming after the program too in the next few days/weeks...
Some facts about #OpportunityZones for y'all:
✔️ An estimated $63 billion can already be expected to be invested into them
✔️ There are 8,700 Zones with the average poverty rate of 29%

It's easy to lay out numbers, but these are people's LIVES that we're talking about.
.@WhipClyburn & @RonWyden's bill would END:
✔️ Multiple OZ with a child poverty rate >30%
✔️ Multiple OZ with poverty rates >25% (double their statewide avg)
✔️ At least 1 zone with a senior poverty rate >40%
✔️ An OZ where African-Americans are 20% of the community
Let me be even more clear. This is a state-driven initiative. 96% of zones show NO sign of gentrification. The other 4%? Go ask their governors—most of which are led by Democrats, like @RonWyden's. @WhipClyburn and Wyden seem to ignore this fact. Why? Well, it's pretty obvious.
In fact, @WhipClyburn & @RonWyden's will classify 'health centers' as a sin business and exclude them from the initiative. So there's a good chance our community centers and YMCAs are gone. Our after-school programs? Yup, they're gone too. All of our children's safe havens; gone.
This is absolutely egregious, as we should be looking for ways to help improve the health of folks living in #OpportunityZones, where the average life expectancy is 3 years shorter than the natl average and the avg obesity rate is significantly higher than the national average.
I stand ready to improve the #OpportunityZones initiative in a positive way with anyone who wants to work together. None of this backroom dealing is helpful for people, who like me, grew up in single-parent households mired in poverty.
Instead of trying to take down Opportunity Zones because of their distaste for @realDonaldTrump and our successful #taxreform package, I invite Democrats to come to the table and work together on a path forward.
The past 50 years of fighting poverty through government-led programs has been largely ineffective, so let’s make sure the next 50 are powered by efforts that will work. I’ll save you the tweets, but do take a moment and read my full thoughts here: scott.senate.gov/media-center/p…
Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh.

Enjoying this thread?

Keep Current with Tim Scott

Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

Twitter may remove this content at anytime, convert it as a PDF, save and print for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video

1) Follow Thread Reader App on Twitter so you can easily mention us!

2) Go to a Twitter thread (series of Tweets by the same owner) and mention us with a keyword "unroll" @threadreaderapp unroll

You can practice here first or read more on our help page!

Follow Us on Twitter!

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just three indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3.00/month or $30.00/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Too expensive? Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal Become our Patreon

Thank you for your support!