For example, an e-car has 183 pounds of copper wiring in it because copper is used in every major component from the motor to the inverter and the electrical wiring. There is about four times more copper in an e-car than in a car with an internal combustion engine.
There are about 400 electric cars on Nova Scotia roads - a total of over 73,000 pounds of copper!
An electric car uses 25-50 grams of silver, so Nova Scotia’s 400 e-cars contain about 15,000 grams of it.
Concrete is a mixture of aggregates and paste. The aggregates are sand and gravel or crushed stone; the paste is water and portland cement. (The terms cement and concrete are often used interchangeably, but cement is actually an ingredient of concrete... #nspoli
...Cement is the glue that holds concrete together.)
Reinforced concrete means the concrete is poured over a frame, usually steel bars, that give the structure greater strength. #nspoli
The short answer is yes, sinkholes are real but no, they are not a major risk and should not prevent you from enjoying outdoor activities.
Most natural sinkholes are caused by groundwater naturally eroding rocks like gypsum, salt and limestone which are water-soluble. #nspoli
The water erodes the rock, leaving an underground cavern. Eventually, the weight of the rock and earth above the cavern causes the sinkhole to form. Sinkholes can form either gradually (i.e. a small depression appears and perhaps grows larger over time) or by sudden collapse.
The New Campbellton coal mine was opened in 1862 by Charles J. Campbell, a former Member of Parliament, Member of the Legislative Assembly and executive council member. The community had been named Kelly’s Cove but was changed to New Campbellton in 1862 in honour of Mr. Campbell.
Mining built #NovaScotia! #Halifax was founded in 1749 and its first court house is reported to have been built by 1754 on the northeastern corner of Buckingham + Argyle streets. After the building burned in 1789, the courts were temporarily housed in various buildings. #nspoli
In April 1851 a bill to provide Halifax with a county court house was passed. Mr. H.G. Hill, a prominent #Halifax architect, prepared a plan for a wooden building.
However, since the records of the county, wills, deeds and other papers of public office were... #nspoli#novascotia
...to be stored in the court house, it was important that the building be fire-proof. Also, a number of serious fires in #Halifax in 1857 led to the passage of a bylaw that required large buildings be made of stone or brick, so Hill's plans for a wooden building were abandoned.
Coal quality and structural issues (including water inflow) plague the Harbour Seam west of Florence so upon closure of the colliery, production on the Harbour Seam was limited to the Company’s No. 3 Colliery in Florence, which had opened in 1902... #nspoli#cbpoli#novascotia
The first land grants in #VictoriaMines were given to Irish settlers in 1794 and in New Victoria in 1808. #Coal mining in the area began in 1865 with what we now call the Old Victoria Mine, which was likely the 1st mine in North America planned to be completely... #nspoli#cbpoli
...under the sea floor. It was based on the shore just north of the intersection of the New Waterford Highway (#28) and Lake Road (circled in red on the map below). The #coal from this mine was conveyed by a railway 5.5 kms long to the Victoria Pier at South Bar for shipment.
The building was designed by renowned architect Sir Andrew Taylor of Taylor and Gordon. Its Palladian windows, copper dome, columns, and pediments combine to make a striking building. It’s one of the best examples of commercial Neo-classic architecture in NS. #nspoli#cbpoli
The mine was on the site of the old Prince Mine, which opened in 1975 and closed in 2001. It produced about 1 million tons of coal per year and sold it to #NovaScotia Power to generate electricity at the #PointAconi power plant, immediately next to the mine. #nspoli#cbpoli
We love getting questions about mining, minerals and geology! We were asked about Nova Scotia’s version of the San Andreas Fault - the Cobequid-Chedabucto Fault System!
Nova Scotia has two halves geologically... #nspoli#cbpoli#NovaScotia#CapeBreton
#NovaScotia has 2 halves geologically: The northern half came from Europe and the southern half from Africa. The Cobequid-Chedabucto Fault System is where they collided 400 million years ago. This caused earthquakes, melted rocks+concentration of minerals like #gold+zinc. #nspoli
People sometimes think of it as a single fault that cuts the province in half. In fact, it's a fault zone or system, not a single fault. There are several large parallel, or nearly parallel, faults that collectively make up the system. #nspoli#cbpoli#NovaScotia#CapeBreton
There have been many #gypsum quarries in #Hants over the years, including several in the #KemptShore/Cheverie area.
There were two quarries near #Cheverie that operated in the 1900s, the Cove and Upper Head quarries. The Cove Quarry was close to the shipping pier. #nspoli#cbpoli
Only the early Acadian mines at Joggins, which provided coal for Fort Beausejour and Port Royal, and the French mine at Port Morien, which provided coal for Louisbourg, are known to be older. #nspoli#nshistory@LarryHarrisonPC@ZannLenore
Why is amethyst purple?
Most #amethyst forms when lava with gas bubbles in it hardens and creates rock with cavities (i.e. the lave crusts over before gasses in the lava can escape, leaving a hollow area inside the rock). #nspoli#cbpoli#novascotia
The cavities fill with silica-rich liquid that contains trace amounts of iron. Over time, this liquid forms crystals that line the cavity walls. After crystallization, gamma rays, emitted by radioactive materials in the host rock, irradiate the iron to produce the purple color.
The word #amethyst comes from the ancient Greeks who thought it looked like wine and figured the gem prevented its wearer from getting drunk. “Amethystos” is Greek for "not intoxicated." #nspoli#cbpoli#novascotia
The East Gore Slate Quarry in #EastHants likely started operating in the mid-1800s and operated into the early 1900s.
Here's the story of the quarry and how it's connected to Courthouse Hill and the Rawdon #gold mines! #nspoli#novascotia@EastHantsNS#hants
The historical quarry is on turn-of-the-century geological maps but there are no official records of its production, so precise dates aren’t available.
A mill was built nearby to turns its slate into roof shingles. #nspoli#novascotia#easthants#hants
Today there is a modern slate quarry directly across Slate Quarry Road from the historical quarry.
One of the many old buildings that used East Gore slate for its roof was the courthouse on what we now call Courthouse Hill, but which was once known as Judgement Hill. #nspoli
It was later quarried to produce rock fill and armour stone.
McKeens stone was used in many heritage buildings, including the Charlottetown legislature and @NewGlasgowNS Town Hall which was built 1884-1887…at a cost of $43,285.61! #nspoli@TimHoustonNS@karla_macf_pc
It was commissioned by Prime Minister Sir John A. MacDonald, one of 78 Post Offices/Custom Houses he built across Canada. It was also briefly the town's courthouse. The Town of #NewGlasgow bought the building after the old Town Hall was severely damaged by fire in 1957. #nspoli
As a son of Jupiter, Vulcan was the creator of his father's lightning bolts. He also made armor, weapons and jewelry for the gods and heroes of Rome. #nspoli#cbpoli#capebreton#novascotia
Volcanoes are named after him. It’s said that every time his wife, Venus, was unfaithful – which was apparently quite a lot – he got angry and hammered red-hot metal at his forge with such ferocity that it created volcanic eruptions. #nspoli#cbpoli#capebreton#novascotia