There have been a few commonalities:
1) They don't follow me but show up in threads
2) They don't follow many (if any) people who I follow or follow me
3) They're posts aim to provoke
5) Their profile pics are either a man or an image - virtually none claim to be women
6) They don't show up in my mentions - meaning, they don't have a verified email address
...and they're definitely not bots. They pass a bot-check and speak good English.
"Rose Twitter" - meaning people who use a rose emoji in their handle to identify as Dem Socialists - are generally reasonable, rational, good ppl.
We all got played by Russia. Some feel for disinformation. Some fell for the baiting of fake accounts to provoke division.
I will be the first to admit I was influenced by the rhetoric of what were purported to be far left accounts.
With that said, that effort seems to be ramping up again... and this time, it has some legacy baggage to work with.
That's a problem.
At the end of the day, it makes no difference which they are.
I think we need to shut down aggressive provocateurs.
On my end, that's going to mean either ignoring or blocking. Selectively blocking deliberate arsonists is an imperfect process but gotta do it.
We can't repeat 2016.