I’ve deleted the thread. And replaced it with this one!
* He didn’t mean it that way (irrelevant to harm caused)
* It’s too much of a stretch (basically “works on my machine”)
* Why are you so disrespectful (tone policing & irrelevant to harm caused)
* Why is everybody so offended by everything these days (aka “I need 101-level inclusion handholding”)
It’s the impact that ultimately matters. NOT the intentions.
And people really couldn’t get past that. All they did was argue with me about intent.
Ultimately I decided my original tweet wasn’t helping, because it led people towards arguing about the wrong thing. I want us to focus on the impact. That’s why I deleted it.
People from marginalized groups who notice exclusionary behavior are allowed to be angry about it. As an industry, we need to get more comfortable with their anger.
It’s hard to do. But it’s important. Sadly I didn’t see any of that last night.
* whether you personally thought of it
* whether it personally bothers you
* whether it personally bothers women who are involved in the concept
You just don’t. Unless you’re an asshole.
The quality of the character of the community will determine what happens now.
Based on responses so far, my money is on “nothing.” I’d love to be wrong.
Textbook gaslighting, fellas. That might have worked on me 10 years ago, but I’ve made a lot of progress since then. You, apparently, not so much.