1. Common. >1⃣in4⃣ pts readmitted by 30days (Fig1) cghjournal.org/article/S1542-…)
2. Costly. >$700 million/year
3. Morbid. Independently associated w/⬆️risk of death (Fig2)
4. Barely predictable. No matter what variables go in2 the model the AUROC ~0.6-0.7 (Fig3)
1. See this highly scientific formula(Fig1)
2. Nationally representative risk factors(Fig2)
3. Reasons 4 readmission (limitation: administrative data)(Fig3)
🤔Lots of factors are missing from quantitative studies of readmission risk
Two things reduce readmissions:
1⃣Optimized outpatient resources/mgmt.
2⃣Prevention of recurrent HE
It's Friday, 4pm
Pt w/cirrhosis comes 4 post-DC followup
They are... lookin not great
U send 2 ED.
It's SBP. U saved a life!
Also, they r readmitted
Death and readmission are competing risks!
🌟Readmits r common
🌟HE causes them. Treat it. Discuss lactulose dosing w/caregivers
🌟The ED saves lives. But there's a better place 2 send pts 4 paras
🌟Invest in outpatient para slots, DC clinics w/APPs, etoh relapse prevention
QI review cghjournal.org/article/S1542-…