I have a lock for a mineral storage cupboard that
1. Functioned normally a few hours ago
2. Popped open without entering the combo
3. Now WILL NOT close
Anyone encountered this before? Simple fixes?
Replacing it is NOT the simple solution in this circumstance Because Reasons.
The context is long & boring, but fixing quickly to be at least temporarily workable is highly prioritized.
1. Re-entering combo (or near-misses, or scrambled, or...)
2. Thumping it. (It’s a geo department. We’re good at hitting things hard.)
3. Any lubrication we have available on the necessary timescale.
After a stern conversation between a pointy metal thing, the tumblers, & me, we resolved our conflict for the necessary duration.
Thank you for the keen eyes.
ProTip: You never know when you’ll need a bolt cutter.
+3pts to anyone who contributed solutions
+5pts to anyone who offered picking/resetting tips
+10pts to anyone who spotted the tumbler problem
-2pts to anyone who told me to buy a new lock
-15pts to anyone who told me I didn’t need a lock
Not every context needs the best lock that ever lock.
Sometimes a circumventable lock is an asset.