President Donald J. Trump
• The strategy emphasizes on preventing terrorists from conducting WMD attacks and deterring hostile states and individuals from assisting them.
• Making acquisition of WMD and associated materials as difficult as possible.
• Strengthening our defenses to a degree that such terrorist attacks will be unsuccessful.
• Deterring state and individual support for WMD terrorism.
• Despite decades of efforts, past approaches have insufficiently mitigated the WMD threat to the United States.
• ISIS, for instance, has used sulfur mustard, chlorine, and other toxic chemicals on the battlefield.
• Past terrorist attacks suggest that terrorists would not hesitate to use WMD should they acquire them.
Read the strategy here.