Thread: 1. NY just passed #AVR Automatic Voter Registration. @StandUpAmerica estimates this will add over 1Mill voters to the #NY rolls. Wouldn't it be great to know that those votes were going to be counted correctly? But w/new #VotingMachines being certified we will not know.
2. Why are #votingmachines the central #VoterSuppression issue in #GA & many other states? Because they are the new #JimCrow. The machine is the way officials control how many ppl vote & how those votes are counted. It might as well be a literacy test. Could it be more obvious?
3. The podcast notes that the counties that did not get enough voting machines (for example 3, when they needed 8) were the counties with LARGE #Dem populations w/predominantly voters of color. W/a touchscreen voting machine if you don't have enough machines you have long lines.
2. From my post: "Because of the way the math was done at the caucuses, many precincts wound up with an extra delegate that got 'assigned' to one of the candidates at the end of the caucus. We were able to look at worksheets from 18 precincts that were posted on Twitter." #Iowa
3. "We found a strange process where numbers below .5 were being rounded up in multiple precincts. 6 of the precincts (1/3) had the unusual 'rounding up.' Of the 6 precincts with the "rounding up" - 4 were given to Buttigieg, 2 to Biden, and 1 to Warren. #IowaCaucuses#NewMath
Please help hand-count audits continue in Columbia County. The Board of Supervisors has said they are not planning to reinstate Virginia Martin as election commissioner. She needs your support.
They need to call a meeting by 6pm today to reinstate her. Please send a short email to these supervisors letting them know what it means to you that Columbia County keep her on and that she continue to do hand-count audits there. Thank you.
Peter Cipkowski <firstname.lastname@example.org>,
Art Bassin <email@example.com>,
Kathy Leck Eldridge <firstname.lastname@example.org>,
Brenda Archer Adams <email@example.com>,
Michael Chameides <firstname.lastname@example.org>,
Abdus Miah <email@example.com>,
Raymond Staats <firstname.lastname@example.org>,
2/ Because now there IS evidence that vote totals may have been affected. "A Georgia election server contains evidence that it was possibly hacked before the 2016 presidential election ... according to an election security expert." politico.com/news/2020/01/1…
3/ "The incident, which occurred in late 2014...not only calls into question the integrity of Georgia’s voting machines during critical elections, but raises new questions about whether attackers were able to manipulate election data & voter info through the compromised server."
@jennycohn1 2/ Why is this bad? Because states will be pressured by vendors to buy risky & expensive #votingmachines that do not protect voters or #taxpayers. Plz call members of the appropriations committee & ask them to include the language from #HR3351.
#Security for #Election2020 is at stake right now. 1) #ElectionSecurity is for our national defense. It is worth investing in. 2) If we do not have security REQUIREMENTS w/funding some states will spend poorly. That is bad for tax payers & bad for voters. #SMARTelections
3/ How EASY is it to change election results? #Princeton Prof of #Computer Science AndrewApppel says it's basic. Voting machines are computers. Computers can be programmed to run malware. It could be done w/ a USB stick & via modem.
A Pennsylvania County’s Election Day Nightmare Underscores Voting Machine Concerns
THE ARTICLE SAYS THE “BALLOTS” (summary cards) WERE RE-COUNTED BY HAND BUT THEY WERE ACTUALLY SCANNED BY MACHINE...KEVIN SKOGLUND IS ASKING @nytimes
TO PRINT A CORRECTION nyti.ms/2rGZTkk
"Abe Kassis, a Democrat, had just 164 votes out of 55,000 ballots... Some machines reported 0 votes for him. In a county with the ability to vote for a straight-party ticket, one candidate’s 0 votes was a near statistical impossibility. Something had gone quite wrong."
"With clearly faulty results in at least the judge’s election, officials began counting the paper backup ballots generated by the same machines. The paper ballots showed Mr. Kassis winning narrowly, 26,142 to 25,137, over his opponent, the Republican Victor Scomillio."
1/6 HOW TO SET GOOD GUIDELINES FOR VOTING SYSTEMS 1) Consult with #cybersecurity experts 2) Do what they say
House bill #HR3351 says "the voter shall have the option to mark his or her ballot by hand." That's good. That's what the majority of cybersecurity experts recommend.
2/6 HOW NOT TO SET GUIDELINES FOR VOTING SYSTEMS
Senate bill #SecureElectionsAct sets up a panel of "independent experts on #ElectionSecurity" then fills it with ppl who are NOT #security experts. If you have to have heart surgery - do you want a surgeon or a hospital admin?
3/6 The #SecureElectionsAct has #bipartisan support, but contrary to current narrative it is NOT less intrusive to states - just less effective. It still sets up standards - but instead of specific ones, they are undefined & will be determined later by a panel of non-security ppl
This is not a done deal, but it is a good step! The working group recommendations will be given to the Technical Guidelines Development Committee this Fri & they (the TGDC) may vote on these recs (could be up/down) then (supposedly) they go to the EAC for a public comment period.
Keep in mind that even if the EAC adopts these guidelines - they are still VOLUNTARY. States can choose to disregard them, or follow some & not others. Also the recommendation is not for the Wi-Fi capability to be removed, but instead permanently disabled due to cost of removal.
“It is disappointing that @KathyBoockvar decided not to be fully transparent” said @kskoglund Chief Technologist of Citizens for Better Elections. “Every petition for reexamination since 1980 has included a demonstration where the public and petitioners were invited."
Excited to announce we have an offer of up to $5,000 in matching funds for $$ raised via our GoFundMe thru the end of Sept! $ raised so far will be included! Thx to those who donated! Can you plz give as much as you can today to support #ElectionSecurity! gofundme.com/f/support-bett…
4. Many voters and advocates may not understand how these voter registration databases can be hacked and cause complete chaos at the polls. Good reporting suggests this happened in North Carolina in 2016 and may have caused Clinton to lose that state. nytimes.com/2017/09/01/us/…
2. According to maps from VR Systems website provided to me by excellent #ElectionSecurity researcher & co-founder of the Florida Fair Elections Coalition #SusanPynchon. Washington County used VR Systems for voter registration databases, website services & election mngmt systems.
3. #NY state is about to approve vendors for epoll books (electronic voter registration databases that are connected to the internet.) Because of the rush to get ready for #EarlyVoting in #NY the epoll books are scheduled to be approved today without even a public comment period
I'm at the NYC Board of Elections mtg. Just spoke w Commissioner Flateau. He was unaware that the Dominion ICE is in use in 3 counties. The machine can be hacked to add votes to paper ballots.
There will be a demo of e poll book vendors on 5/29.
They just changed the epollbook demo. Not sure when it is now. They use these public meetings to work out when they will all be available to get together. It seems like they could do this ahead of time with a doodle.
2. The investigation is over a backdrop of previous trouble that #Dallas County had with the results in the March #Democratic#Primary where multiple precincts had more #votes than #voters. Never a good thing.
1/3 Was trying to remember when the ES&S hack was - when @VotingVillageDC reminded me last night. It was Aug 2017 - In the massive 1.8 mill #voter ES&S #data breach part of the download was...encrypted versions of passwords for ES&S employee accounts. usatoday.com/story/tech/201…
2/3 @UpGuard is the company who found the breach. “The worse-case scenario is that they could be completely infiltrated right now,” said Upguard's director of strategy Jon Hendren.
3/3 ES&S is the largest provider of voting equipment in the country. Let me just repeat that for emphasis. “The worse-case scenario is that they could be completely infiltrated right now.” And hackers could have had a full year to do what they need to do. apnews.com/f6876669cb6b4e…
Thread 1. @BrianLehrer I am shocked to hear @JohnKerry admit that they suspected the algorithm of the voting machines in Ohio was manipulated in 2004 & yet they did not challenge the results. AND THEY SAID NOTHING.
2. Those of us who researched the 2004 Ohio election for years & concluded that the results were in all likelihood not accurate - needed someone of @JohnKerry's stature to speak out - yet he did not until now. He allowed ppl to call it a #conspiracytheory & said nothing.
3. An excerpt from my documentary demonstrating that in most counties in Ohio in the 2004 election the handcount did not match the machine count. hollerbackfilm.com/film-clips-1/ Many activists & a few journalists have worked for years to get this message out. Where was @JohnKerry?