If you remember one thing, remember this… The best ideas are ALWAYS at the edge.
1. Reddit, obscure forums, and private group chats
2. Medium posts and podcasts
3. Major newspapers, such as the New York Times
As ideas trickle from forums to mainstream media, informational edge disappears.
Here’s what I’ve learned:
1. Find the low rents.
2. Surround yourself with people who dress like people you only see in movies.
3. Get comfortable with weird parts of the internet.
If you want creativity, stay at the EDGE.
In science, most valuable ideas begin outside the mainstream. But in order to get funding, you need a plausible starting narrative.
I love Groucho’s Law: Never work on any project for which you can get funding.
The author is an anonymous insurance agent who lives in Cleveland, Ohio. The name of the blog says it all…
"At any gathering of people... the really interesting conversations and actions almost always happen around the edges. Change almost always starts at the EDGES and moves toward the CENTER.”
- Seth Godin
They can differentiate themselves - for free - in less than 2 years.
1. Find an obscure topic or an emerging industry.
2. Research it obsessively.
3. Advertise your skills by SHARING your knowledge on the internet
1. They commit to an emerging industry.
2. Then, they explore every part of it.
They are specialists *and* generalists.
As generalists WITHIN an industry, they have local knowledge and see what the hardcore specialists miss.