That big bet on Chinese markets didn't start paying off for 2 decades, until China entered WTO in 2001.
Rick is the 5th generation in his family to farm this piece of land, and he was a bit overwhelmed by the fallout from the visit...
- become an agricultural celebrity in China
- made 20+ trips to China and given talks in 60+ cities
- had thousands of Chinese tourists come visit his farm
- founded a "Friendship Farm" in Hebei w/ a model Iowa town built for tourists.
Farmers told us they agreed you needed to be tough on China+trade, but this approach has "blown up the farm economy."
Rep from soybean industry association told us, "Farming is not like owning a cupcake shop."
👇 pic is from lobby of Iowa Soybean Association.
1. It's a good start.
2. Iowa farmers won't see real relief until this fall.
3. Sth should've been done about China trade years ago.
For deep dive into China+Iowa+agriculture, listen here: macropolo.org/multimedia/pod…