1. To address a point that remainers are having fun with... the assertion that Argentina will use our #Brexit circumstances at the WTO to enhance its stake on the Falklands... is totally baloney. You know this of course, but there's a few points worth making. #Trade thread!
2. These such signals are as much for domestic consumption as anything else. This isn't the first and won't be the last. We will see a number of attempts to frustrate the UK's separation process in the hope that it will leverage concessions from the UK.
3. Some FT hack has probably already penned a poison article on how the UK will be forced to cave in because we are so weakened and feeble without the EU. As a point of fact the UK is not obliged to concede on any point at any time so long as it pays due regard to consequences.
ACTA, the "Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement", was ultimately rejected. The agreement was an attempt to create a new global standard for intellectual property rights enforcement. wikileaks.org/wiki/Proposed_…
WikiLeaks released a document during talks at the WTO in Geneva that showed how the EU used threats to "reprogram development aid" if developing countries do not agree to sign a new free trade agreement with the EU. wikileaks.org/wiki/EU_aid_de…
2) Going into the game the Democrats were riding their #BlueWave of enthusiasm. They were so confident America was tired of all the lies and sordid behavior of Coach Trump that the Democrats could win the game easily.
3) They laughed at their good fortune every time a GOP player would pledge to work closely with their coach; such easy pickings.
As a historian specializing in the #Holocaust, #Nazi Germany, and #Europe in the era of the world wars, I have been repeatedly asked about the degree to which the current situation in the United States resembles the interwar period and the rise of #fascism in Europe.
I would note several troubling similarities and one important but equally troubling difference.
In the 1920s, the US pursued #isolationism in foreign #policy and rejected participation in international organizations like the League of Nations.
In addition, no-one in the #EU is threatening the UK (I wld challenge Hannan to point to one threat that has come from a leading EU politician or negotiator), nor are they stopping the UK from leaving. #Brexit
The EU have been clear from the start that there are many trade models available to the UK & the UK have ruled most of them out. If it feels like the UK has little room for manoeuvre it is because the government painted itself into a corner. #Brexit
Latest in Malaysia is the story of Ferris. Ferris merupakan usahawan cilik yang terpengaruh secara positif dengan siri Upin dan Ipin! It's good to see how entrepreneurship in an animated series can piqued children and their interest in entrepreneurship!
1. There is a ‘global trend’ / ‘strategic direction’ argument that seems missing from much of the #Brexit debate on #trade. I’m no specialist, but for the uninitiated, it is broadly this: [thread, to which welcome contribution from true experts]
2. From the 1960s, economists and diplomats eyed up potential benefits to all parties of freer world trade. The GATT and later WTO are an expression of that.
3. Trouble is, a multilateral agreement proved damned difficult to negotiate on simple stuff - goods, esp agricultural products - never mind complex stuff that require greater regulatory compatibility.
It's friday. No #Banknifty trades. Let's revise some of the best takeaways form "Trading in the zone" (1/n)
There is a big difference between predicting & executing trades. Predicting what market could do is easy - executing trades is more complex. It takes confidence, humility and #discipline to properly execute a #trade. (2/n)
001/ [article content in this tweet series 001-180 reproduced with permission from Martin Howe QC of Lawyers for Britain @lawyers4britain] #quote "Leaving the EU on WTO terms: pulling down the barriers to world trade
Introduction: why prices will FALL after Brexit, not rise" /002
002/ #quote "Over the past couple of weeks, the media have been full of lurid scare stories about what will happen if the UK leaves the EU on WTO terms, because negotiations with the EU do not result in a withdrawal agreement." /003
My thoughts on #Trump's bombshell interview w/ The Sun: He puts his finger at inconvenient truth: tradeoff between regulatory alignment w/ EU post-Brexit and regulatory alignment w/ US as part of US-UK #trade deal. But he goes about it in undiplomatic way that isn't helpful.
Trump's explosive interview calling US-UK trade deal off is likely part of negotiation tactic. Throw UK off balance and then extract more concessions in future negotiations.
Still a lot more on trade for T May to talk to Trump about: US steel and aluminium tariffs and looming tariffs on cars and automotive imports. T May should position herself as bridge between US and EU.
1/ It seems every #trader has to do the same mistakes as their predecessors. There are #wisdowms you will only understand, if you have experienced them yourself. In this thread I will give you the #wisdom, which can make the difference between being broke and driving lambos #btc
2/ Money is made in big swings
When realizing what profits can be made with trading, many start daytrading and want to #profit from every movement. You won't make more #money. Instead you will lose plenty of time. Watch big time frames and take positions for weeks #btc#trading
3/ When entering a #trade, have targets and a stop loss order
There is nothing more for you to do. There are two outcomes:
-you being stopped out
-you reaching your target
either is fine
realizing losses > being a bagholder
realized profits > unrealized profits
At the outset of the #Brexit process, most people assumed that a deal on #police and #judicial co-operation was easier to get than one on #trade. Time has shown this is not the case. Ongoing co-op on #JHA is one of the few items yet to be agreed on #withdrawal deal. Why?
Well, because the #EU and #UK's opening positions in the #negotiation are incompatible: Britain wants a #bespoke agreement with the EU, a la #Schengen, but is not willing to accept #ECJ or #EUCharter. EU wants to replicate existing models. What to do?
"We support the heroes of law enforcement...We defend our flag and we honor our flag. And if others honored our flag they'd be much better off wouldn't they?"-@realDonaldTrump@POTUS Washington, Michigan H/T @GST_Politics
One of the first tangible benefits of #Brexit I've seen is the emerging reform of @DFID_UK where it is becoming more of an arm of trade policy than a state owned humanitarian NGO. I would like that to go much further and rethink trade.
2. I do not think we should be wasting too much effort on free trade deals largely because they are of questionable value and encourage inefficient value chains. Any work on tariffs should really be reserved for multilateral activity.
3. Instead we need DfID as the spearhead of our trade policy. There is no reason why we cannot pursue humanitarian goals and enhance our trade while we are at it. For a start we can do a lot with medicines and pharmacy products.
1/ #THREAD Ah, teeny tiny demographical instance of something, hastily wound up to a coy, careful kind of un-endorsement of something else, even uses paper in a medical / scientific journal to try substantiate this un-endorsement placement #Beware#BullAtWork How 'well-connected'
2/ and how reminiscent of a certain type of anti-vaccination trolling / disinformation.😬 #Questions such as: A/what percentage of the population actually use the product B/ what percentage of that specific demographic have been injured seriously, in a clinical sense or in the --
3/ particular mode described in the, eh, 'article' ? C/ So even if as seems likely this only verifiably happened to a tiny % of users,& even if the argument that it is all just public knowledge/public info. is applied so it appears to be, lets say for the heck of it, 'authentic',