2/ do you think that if the UK had gone down the efta/EEA route that there would have been such a backlash against brexit? We don't. If you had promoted a EFTA based brexit we would probably be out of the EU by now.
3/ ...businesses would be breathing a sigh of relief, the economy would be booming, the #ofoc and #fbpe crowd would struggle to fill a taxi and would be seen as a fringe of dinosaur europhiles. The UK would be preparing to sign FTAs with countries around the globe.
@BasedChara@MerryMichaelW@blueunicornmoon@MagpiesView Yes, Cameron said he'd enact it but that's all he did, say. Theresa May said she would not hold an election in 2017, but she did. Should the current government dissolve itself because of what she said? (Don't answer that)
1. I am concerned that a deal may have been done about the Tory leadership post March next year when the Tories will have orchestrated a no deal situation leading to a "wartime" gov with special powers. We have always known Johnson wants a Churchill moment...
2. Remember that there were no elections in WW2. The gov sat for 10 yrs with two leadership changes. It was called a gov of unity. Can you imagine what a Tory led "unity" gov will be? They have already parroted Goebbels. It won't be "a" Party, it will be "the" Party.
3. Special powers would enable them to implement a firesale of the national assets to private bidders to raise brexit emergency funds. It would enable them to complete their mission according to their doctrine, a privatised country, everything, capitalist totalitarianism. #FBPE
Well good folks of #FBPE and fellow Europhiles, it's not looking good in old Blighty, is it? At the time of this tweet things are falling apart. The economy is heading south already and the UK hasn't even left the building. Is it time for a #BrExodus? Or a #Brescape?
Reports of a "doomsday scenario" do not sound appealing. The government are behaving in both a delusional and a xenophobic manner, and huge numbers of British people are about to have their European rights striped from them. This Brexit thing clearly has no upside.
But it's worse. May is not only trying to leave the EU, she's trying to leave the ECJ and ECHR. What this mad woman has planned that would contravene the ECHR one can only guess. But it can't be good.
I won't be there to see it, I've already gone. Perhaps you should also?
The UK has access to technetium-99m because it's a member of an international treaty facilitating its trade & movement. Without it, treatment & detection of certain cancers is much harder, waiting lists will grow and people will die.
"The will of the people" was a phrase invented by Goebbels - the Nazi propaganda minister.
It was a device used to stifle dissent. The methodology was to run a referendum, grab a "win" of some sort, then put out the idea that all the patriotic people thought this was best.
It is amazing that I am still meeting people who don't know the origin of this, or that referendums were used in totalitarian states as devices to silence people & to take forward the viewpoint of a populist dictator. 2/n #Brexitmeansfascism
Is that happening in the UK now?
IMO we should always reply to any tweet which uses this phrase saying that it came from the Nazis.
1. Seen quite a bit of anti #FBPE nonsense...mainly from the further left..we've been called a cult by Corbynistas...I'd remind them, cultists worship deities PEOPLE or objects; opposing a #Brexit which is leaving us all Poorer, Weaker with Less Control & Fewer Rights is neither.
2. Using #FBPE doesn't make us anti Corbyn or Labour it makes us anti #Brexit & sadly that means we are in opposition to those who are forcing a flawed #BrexitShambles upon the Ppl & denying the Ppl a #FinalSay a #PeoplesVote to Confirm the Will of the Ppl to leave or to #Remain.
3. Fighting to give the Ppl a #FinalSay nor indeed giving the Ppl a #PeoplesVote doesn't thwart #Brexit nor disrespect anyone..it merely allows everyone to Confirm if they still want it or now to #StopBrexit & #Remain...it's called DEMOCRACY as it allows ppl to change their minds
I have seen JC supporters over the last few days repeatedly say that #FBPE is a one issue "Party" & that we are obsessed with #brexit and with destroying JC.
So I want to address this in 2 ways - This is my personal answer .............
1) #FBPE is a Europe-wide pro-EU group. It supports democracy, internationalism & is against populism, offshore billionaires running countries, autocracy, kleptocracy, fascism & any forms of extremism. The belief is that Democracy is an ongoing conversation. 2/n
Issues may differ in different countries, so in the UK, #FBPE is a pro-remain campaign group. It is a hashtag that brings together like-minded people on Social Media. it is not a political party, nor does it represent one. 3/n
#FBPE is on the same side as:
Unite, GMB & Community Unions
CBI, IoD, FSB, BCC & EEF
Labour NW & West Midland MPs
Majority of Labour MP's
Majority of UK population
Majority of Labour members
On: #CustomsUnion#SingleMarket & #PeoplesVote
The transport union, TSSA:
"The left should unite now and come together to stop this Tory act of war against our class...
Supporting Tory/UKIP Brexit is unacceptable class collaboration.
Hearing reports that many #FBPE are getting shadow banned or short bans on twitter & don't understand why. This thread is intended to help you protect yourself. 1/n
1) What is a shadow ban? It is basically when you tweet & twitter don't send it to anyone at all. It happened to me at the weekend. Just silence. No notifications, & all you get on your home page is recipes for carrot cake. They can do a partial one. A full one is scary. 2/n
If it happens, ask a few friends to find you & retweet you, this helps send the message that people DO want to see what you send - it helps. 😀
Why do these things happen? Basically bc you are being reported for breaking the rules. 3/n
What’s happening in Italy is an appalling subversion of democracy by credit rating agencies and the EU. If the EU wants to survive it will need flexibility to a changing political context. Trying to preserve the status quo through undemocratic means will only fuel euroscepticism
Incredible how the #FBPE crowd choose to wilfully ignore this stuff, while parading around with their EU flag berets on. The EU isn’t some cuddly institution, it has deep flaws that are playing out in front of our eyes. The refusal to address them is why Brexit is still popular
I voted remain in spite of the sheer ineptitude of Stronger In: a fan club encouraging us to thank the EU for apparently saving us from destruction. Instead of learning the lessons of failure or winning people over, they’re now stamping their feet claiming Corbyn can stop Brexit
Compromise. Should we, as #remain ers consider some sort of accomodation of the #leave supporters? I think we shouldn't & will explain why I believe this fundamentally.
There are 4 reasons for not doing. I will explain my reasons for each. 1) Did #leave actually win? 2) Cheating & why it should never be rewarded. 3) Appeasement, extremists don't compromise 4) In real terms - this is mashing the country & will do in a way you can't imagine.
battle, check, cross, counterattack, hinder, combat, taunt, expose, assault, gainsay, encounter, bar, reverse, contradict, counter, confront, take on, call in question, face down, fly in the face of, frown at, not countenance.
Whilst it may go unnoticed, by preventing a no deal #brexit scenario The Lords has quietly put down a coup led by Johnson, Leadsom, Mogg, Wigmore, Mercer, Banks, Hands, Davis, Farage, IDS, Fox, Redwood, Gove, Dacre, Murdoch, Bannon, Hintze, Odey, Grayling, Ashcroft et al #FBPE
Let's be very clear. By putting the people before politics the House of Lords may have just diverted the path of the country enough to avert a feudal authoritarian future. Play it forward, that is where the #brextremists like @LiamFox want to take us. Corporate rule #FBPE
1.#A50Challenge disputes the govt's claims that a 'decision' to leave the EU has been made 'in accordance with [our] constitutional requirements'. The underlying assumptions of that decision haven't been tested in court. THREAD explaining why the ref result isn't a decision #FBPE
2. In 2011 the Parliamentary Voting System and Constituencies Act was legislated during the 1st Cameroon govt. It was unique as it was a 'madatory' referendum. The same administration legislated for the Referendum Act 2015 as an 'advisory' ref; 2011 bound parliament 2015 didn't.
3. The 1975 ref process was different. It was, what's termed as, a post-legislative ref. In other words, Parliament voted for EC membership, then legislated for the Referendum Act 1975. The assent of the people (67% to 33%) then made that result binding; theoretically.
a) Someone made a mistake - & didn't think something through
b) Someone was just not very clever - or not very good at their job
c) The outcomes of X couldn't have been predicted
d) The outcomes of Y were not predicted bc they were thought so insignificant or unlikely.
Any of the above is a denigration. It makes the assumption that the person responsible was not capable, or intelligent. By doing this you under-estimate willful intention.
BritishWWIIveteran will sue 2overturnBrexit referendum after aEUcourt accepted his case. Mr Shindler was denied a vote under a rule barring those lived abroad4more than 15years.Conservatives promised2015 2ditch this rule&give expatriate citizens votes4life.thetimes.co.uk/article/expat-…
Why did the EU accept A50?
Intimidation - Is the killing of a member of Parliament enough?
Opaque campaign financing - Have been asleep lately? Have you heard about the financing scandal of the leave side in the UK?
My English grandma is 97 years old. She's almost completely blind now but still lives alone. She was a nurse in the Blitz and her late husband, my grandpa, served in the war.
She thinks Brexit is a terrible idea.
Grandpa, whose family business built houses after the war, would've been appalled by the idiocy of Brexit and the infantile nationalism that drives it; he would've been furious at the utter cretins who're taking us down this road.
Grandma has 6 grandchildren – 2 of them half Italian and 1 half Austrian – and 10 great-grandchildren, 3 of whom live in France. Several of her grandchildren make a living operating in the Single Market and/or use Freedom of Movement for their work and way of life.
It's a PROCESS. Not an end product. You don't do it just the once. Remainers/leavers who insist we should respect the vote are either not aware of the threat democracy is currently under or they don't understand the concept of democracy.
"You don't get to keep voting until you get what you want". Well actually that IS kinda the point. You want your vote to count. And you want your values and policies to be realised.