First—listen to your state & local news. EVACUATE if you’re mandated. Don’t leave your pets behind.
I worked on the rescue efforts after Harvey & Irma. I spoke to people on dying phones who didn’t evacuate. They required rescue from rooftops.
Tap & well water are NOT safe to drink after a flood event. Bacteria, viruses & pathogens are present & will make you sick in just HOURS.
For a hurricane/flood event, here are 5 options for safe drinking water.
BEFORE the event:
1. Buy bottled water— 1 gallon/day/person for 7 days minimum
AFTER the event:
2.Chlorinate the water
4.Calcium hypochlorite- used in swimming pools
5.Boiling the water
Adding chlorine to H2O is the best option.
⚠️Bleach must be less than 6 mos old. You MUST let it sit for 1 hour after treating, otherwise it’s toxic
⚠️Do NOT have iodine disinfected water with
—Allergy to shellfish
Cautions on iodine:
—Overconsumption is toxic
—Taste is metallic
Calcium hydpochlorite or pool shock is found in swimming pool supply stores.
⚠️Use caution with this if you have no other options because it takes VERY little to treat. It is DEADLY if overconsumption occurs.
Boiling water only works if you have a heat source hot enough to boil it for at least 1 minute. I recommend 3 to 5 minutes.
⚠️Caution - this is a remedial method at best. It should be a LAST effort and it will NOT remove all contaminants.
Flood waters rapidly multiply with pathogens & water bourne illnesses. Avoid standing in it, if possible. A cut can easily become a life threatening infection.
Wash your hands often & any part of you that must go in flood waters, immediately.
During the rescue efforts of Harvey & Irma, no one rescuing or in need cared if you were Dem or GOP.
💚Look out for each other