Trump: Day 609
-201st Day at a Trump Property
-Suggests Dr. Christine Ford is Lying
-Ford Camp Given Until 10pm 2 Reply
-Delays Release of Intelligence Docs
-NYT Releases Rosenstein Hit Piece
-Mueller Examining $3.3M Transfer
-China Warns 2 Withdraw Sanctions
Day 714 since Donald Trump admitted to sexual assault — yet he’s still in the Oval Office
Day 566 of NO EVIDENCE produced by Trump that his phones were tapped by Obama.
The FISA warrant Trump referenced targeted Carter Page. #TrumpLies
Environmental concerns spreading in North Carolina as Florence continues to soak hog and chicken farms and their waste lagoons ("cesspools the size of football fields”), flood coal ash pits, threaten municipal water systems, and idle a nuclear power plant wapo.st/2xvYNHI
At least 110 lagoons of pig waste are overflowing or at imminent risk of doing so after #Florence.
#Florence is finally moving away from the Carolinas (severe flooding still ongoing for several more days), and the long-term recovery process is beginning. It's important to keep in mind the psychological impacts of disasters on humans. (Thread)
Many people impacted by a disaster, especially those with direct experience, endure temporary distress after the event, which can take days or weeks to diminish.
Symptoms of temporary distress include trouble sleeping, becoming angry or upset more easily, problems at school or work, a sense of isolation, flashbacks or nightmares, and difficulty concentrating or listening.
Oyster Creek shutting down is like taking a baseball bat to over 5 Ivanpah solar plants; it produced ~5400 GWh zero-GHG per year vs Ivanpah's 990 GWh.
@EricHolthaus The replacement power isn't coming from solar and wind, guys. It's coming from natural gas and coal. Solar and wind can't compete with the kind of reliable capacity factor Oyster Creek delivered 24/7.
This from @guypbenson is comprehensive. #HoldTheVote, both in @senjudiciary this week and Senate next and allow voters in November to judge their senators on the ballot accordingly. Of course Dr. Blasey Ford will have ample opportunity to state her allegations often, but delay
after the allegation has been in the ranking member’s possession for so long and not raised is to diagram a destructive playbook for every future nomination. Senators should have to exercise their judgment and be accountable for it. #HoldTheVote. Tomorrow’s and this week’s shows
and the following week’s until the vote will be little else besides updates on #Florence recovery and #HoldTheVote.
All coastal areas impacted by waves/winds will bear the fruit of Israel spoken of by Paul:
Consider it all joy when you encounter various trials for “All flesh is like grass & all its glory like the flower of grass “Awake, sleeper, arise from the dead, Christ will shine on you.”
There are 9 potentially deadly storms that seem to be telling a story if we break down their meanings behind the names of each storm.
9 also represents the fruits of God's Holy Spirit, which are Faithfulness, Gentleness, Goodness, Joy, Kindness, Long suffering, Love, Peace and Self-control (Galatians 5:22 - 23). crosswalk.com/faith/spiritua…
Storm surge built up over of several days, starting when #florence was a cat 4 or strong cat 3 storm. That "baked in” the roughly-10ft storm surge from Cape Hatteras to Myrtle Beach, NC. @MichaelEMann at gu.com/p/9ckb6/stw
Because warmer oceans mean more moisture in the atmosphere, "for each 1C of warming, there is about 7% more moisture in the air". #florencehurricane is generating about 10% more rainfall due to 1.5C-above-normal temps, increasing risk of additional inland flooding.
The destructive potential of a hurricane is the cube of wind speed. (News to me.) #florencehurricane had a 11% increase in wind speed due to warm water; that's a 33% increase in destructive potential.
1. As a NC resident, I get the #Florence is a big deal. But still I think the media has been hyperbolic and dishonest in its reporting on anticipated effects on outlying areas. I have a friend who's convinced our area would have 80mph winds and 20 inches of rain by 2 am this a.m.
2. So convinced, he packed up his family and drove to Tulsa OK to wait out the storm, posting on FB during the trip on how bad it was going to be in my area.
Here is the current hourly forecast:
3. We had worse sustained winds in SoCal when the Santa Ana's came through. The rainfall forecast in my area is a couple inches per day. My friend evacuated to Tornado Alley for this. The media needs to cut the ratings game and be accurate with it's reporting. It's ridiculous.
(1) I'm reluctant to start another thread today but this is important. NBC has openly tried to underestimate the severity of hurricane #Florence, which is something meteorologists, officials and hurricane watchers object to, whoever does it.
(2) Now, it could be just one NBC reporter with a bad case of #TDS writing a tweet without knowing that entire careers have been built on campaigning for SAFER and more accurate weather reporting by media.
But if that were the case, NBC would have retracted it by now.
(3) I want to thank the meteorologists who called out NBC for their reckless tweet about #Florence. Most science professionals don't like Trump but they're not about to try to get people killed for political gain.
There is a veritable news blackout on the MA explosions. @CNN is 100% #Florence (not that it's not a major story) and @maddow is Manafort.
Local Boston news reports evacuations throughout Lawrence, South Lawrence, Andover, North Andover, Merrimack. All schools will be closed.
Although initial reports asserted the explosions were related to Columbia Gas, expanded reports required evacuations no matter what gas company was used.
There were, at 9pm EST, more than 70 fires reported. 38 Fires extinguished in Andover alone, with 17 additional gas leaks.
Here's what should concern all residents: Lawrence, South Lawrence, Andover and North Andover leaders say there is no timeline on when residents can return.
This isn't the only case of a celebrity charity being a dismal failure or being questioned about its efforts. Wyclef Jean's charity was accused of mishandling $16 million in donations for Haiti. businessinsider.com/wyclefs-haiti-…
Some of the problem is these celebrities are well intentioned, but have no idea what they are doing and hire people that know even less. There are also others that have done exceptionally well in charitable causes like JJ Watt in the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey.
Measurement choice is destiny, case zillion. The popular hurricane scale, Saffir-Simpson, is based on highest sustained wind-speed—only one kind of risk, and often not the most important one. Florence is now larger, but with slightly slower winds at the center. So "weakened".😱
Chapel Hill/Carrboro is juuuuust on the border of Florence bands—don't even have rain where I am. Maybe later. All thoughts with coastal NC/SC communities who are experiencing brutal flooding and the first responders.
Also, we really should stop using the Saffir-Simpson scale.
In SE North Carolina, there is massive rain, occasionally record-breaking storm-surge, ongoing river flooding in river basins dramatically worsened due to massive rain more upstream. "Maximum wind at center" is not a good indicator. Choice of indicators always have big effects.
So, I spent quite a while with this reporter at a time when I had other products to be working on. None of it got into this article. So I'm going to drop it here. First, the 2012 SLR bill had NO IMPACT on hazard mitigation preparedness in the state of NC. Buckle up, y'all (1/?)
First, here’s final format of the SLR bill that became law. I gave this to reporter. § 113A-107.1.c ncleg.net/Sessions/2011/…
Here’s where things get odd. Spent my summer evenings off from SG developing a new course for Georgetown EDM on nexus of climate adaptation & emergency & disaster mgmt. There's little to go on. So hard to believe of an extension specialist but I'M LITERALLY AN EXPERT IN THIS.
Weather geek twitter is great fun, and who knows what the actual track will be with all this model uncertainty, but the strength is assured and the coastal areas are looking to take a brutal wind+flood beating. I hope everyone who needs to evacuate has evacuated—or is about to.
Yeay, a small, useful list! Some "to-do" lists floating around are not doable! It all reminds me infosec discussions. You don't have to prepare for a Hobbesian aftermath—not what's gonna happen. You want water, food and batteries—and a few precautions. fayobserver.com/news/20180912/…
(1) The only time Democrats care about the US citizens of Puerto Rico is when they can make political hay out of them.
At all other times they ignore the territory & it's extreme poverty, economic dependency, & rampant political corruption.
Hurricane Maria deaths estimate.
(2) Watching hurricanes #Katrina & #Harvey from afar was an experience that radicalized me to become a Hurricane Watcher, focusing on storms affecting the US. Harvey had the potential to be another Katrina. Thanks to sterling work at all levels, Katrina-level tragedy was averted.
(3) The fact is, #Harvey, #Irma, & #Maria were handled well by local, state/territory, & federal government. Far Left Democrats FEEL that Maria wasn't, but Far Left Democrats feel a lot of things, especially since the #TDS pandemic outbreak on 11/8/16.