In 2017 MS made overstated claims about their NAEP reading scores, hiding the fact that 4th grade bumps disappeared by 8th grade and that NAEP scores remain mostly correlated with poverty; see radicalscholarship.wordpress.com/2019/02/14/the…
• The US has never had a period over the last 100 years when we said "reading scores are where they should be."
• There is *always* a claim of "reading crisis."
• This is irrespective of how reading is taught +
• NAEP scores only marginally about student achievement/reading, teacher/teaching quality, reading program effectiveness
• NAEP scores are very pale *proxies* of reading