Fascism is a word so often misused, that it immediately elicits eye rolls from serious ppl.
But it has a meaning: ultranationalist, dictatorial gov’t that deploys fear of the other, both inside & outside the nation, to consolidate power.
Trump is accelerating fascism.
Think about the way Trump talks about #BLM protests as an “anti-American” Force, not out to promote racial equality, but to tear down American “heritage.”
His deployment of CBP paramilitary on the streets in #Portland is a profound escalation acting on that narrative.
Consider the fact that he continues to call #COVID19 the “China virus” and stoked conspiracies that it had been developed in a lab in Wuhan to reinforce the narrative that they are the enemy abroad.
I've been asked how I'd respond to #COVID right now:
1) See curve: deploy tests efficiently 2) Flatten curve: Reduce transmission 3) Prepare for curve: Increase healthcare capacity 4) Catch curve: Contact trace below a threshold 4) Save livelihoods
GOAL #1: SEE CURVE -
We don't have good visibility for 2 reasons:
a) our tests are being used mainly on ppl who already presumptive(+) because we're using them at point of care for sick pts.
b) there's a huge gap btwn when ppl are infected & when we get their test outcomes
So instead of using tests at point of care when it doesn't change management:
1) I'd be saving 5-10% of our #COVID tests to deploy in a small representative sample of the population to better understand the spread of disease, and the burden that's on its way
2) @BCBSM (Blue Cross Blue Shield): how are you supporting low-income ppl who AREN'T suffering #COVIDー19 but ARE struggling with the other diseases humans get, like diabetes, heart disease, or cancer and lost insurance right now?
It shows the number of #COVID cases by age in S. Korea (red) vis Italy (green). And there are WAY more young cases in S. Korea.
Why? NOT because younger ppl get it in S. Korea. But because S. Korea TESTS young ppl.
In Italy (like the US), they're only testing ppl w/ symptoms. And the ppl who show symptoms w/ #COVID19 are older and sicker. That's why their numbers are skewed by age.
But in S. Korea, they're testing everyone, meaning their catching the young, asymptomatic cases, too.
So remember the pics of all those kids partying this weekend? Well, they think they're not going to get the #Coronavirus. That's not true, they're just not going to get SYMPTOMS of #Covid_19. But this graph shows that they might still get it--and unknowingly pass it on.
Never mind what the insiders & powerbrokers tell you, if you’re SERIOUS about solving Michigan’s problems, @BernieSanders is THE ONLY real choice for
- union rights
- racial justice
- Great Lakes protection
And SO many more...
Nobody stands with unions like @BernieSanders. He opposed NAFTA, recognizing it would fundamentally destroy our manufacturing economy by giving corporations carte Blanche to exploit foreign labor.
He came to Detroit to picket w/ @UAW & helped put #Fightfor15 on the map.
Even after our “comeback,” economists estimate we lost 250K jobs during the recession that are NEVER coming back.
Why? Wall St played fast & loose w/ our economy.
@BernieSanders wants to hold them accountable so it never happens again.
The public health approach to stopping an infectious disease is about "contact tracing."
Contact tracing is painstaking work. It involves identifying all of the known or potential contacts of someone who has the disease in question, finding them, and then isolating them--and then rinsing and repeating.
It's a serious test of your gov's abilities.
It requires that:
1) Gov't is funded appropriately to do this work 2) Gov't employees trust higher-ups to give them bad news, rather than pretend that cases don't exist. 3) Ppl trust their gov't to protect them--and to share information with them
They built a model called "single-payer healthcare interactive financing tool" which allows users to toggle between various assumptions about the savings, costs, revenue w/ #MedicareforAll. Check it out:
We’re told that the “polls tell us” that #m4a support is fragile when people realize that it’ll take away their insurance. So, let's take a look at what may be driving #MedicareforAll polling using one @KFF poll earlier this month.
2. Bernie’s #MedicareforAll plan is the most honest. It trusts the American ppl to understand that we get what we pay for AND that we can do better than the insurance corps that are dragging us for their profits.
3. Bernie’s Politics are honest, upfront, and truly inclusive. When you raise the most money out of all candidates on the hard-earned contributions of teachers, nurses, and line workers, it’s because they FEEL your politics. We need that right now.