You can find a link to the entire statement in the story below.
Translation: The people saying they smelled smoke now never warned poor old me.
A meeting is scheduled for the 26th to talk about working together.
Trump calls to say “I need you to do me a favor...” a day before...
...but Sondland sees no connection btwn the two.
- The President takes a very unusual step of pointing you to his guy
- You find that odd and inappropriate
- You talk to the guy anyway
- He explicitly delivers a political ask
- Yet, you had nary a clue there were politics at work
Sondland threw a lot of stuff at the wall to:
1) try to insulate himself from specific corrupt acts in furtherance of a conspiracy
2) inculpate Giuliani, Perry, and others
3) paint himself as a naive do-gooder shocked to learn all that smoke meant there was a fire.
His story is so transparently implausible, it reeks of a guy trying to save himself by ratting out everyone else who robbed the bank while claiming he thought they were all just going to the beach.
Good luck selling that one, dude.