Gordon & Borkan’s lit review highlights 4 principles of time management tiny.cc/MedEdTime:
1. Set goals
2. Prioritize competing responsibilities
3. Plan & organize activities
4. Minimize wasted time
- Set short- (1-3yr) & long-term (5-10yr) goals for your career
- Break long-term ends goals into bite-sized means goals
- Monitor past & current activities for goal compatibility
- Ask: do new opportunities contribute to your goals?
- Ask: do you have to give up something to pursue a new activity?
- Use Covey/Eisenhower Matrix to prioritize tasks. Pay most attention to quadrant 2, NOT 1 or 3 (see tiny.cc/TimeMatrix and below)
- Plan a weekly & monthly schedule
- Schedule non-negotiable “writing / planning” time
- Take advantage of “uninterruptible” time (ie train rides)