2) “The Trump administration’s pressure strategy on Iran assumes that the Islamic Republic is standing on its last leg. The White House believes a gentle nudge will cause its collapse in the next few months.”
1) This is a translation of an excellent thread written by @jorj_the_great about #Iran’s network of apologists/lobbyists in the West by taking a look at @yarbatman & his relation with these individuals.
1. Everyone who cares about the wellbeing of the Iranian people and the credibility of American leadership can get behind this idea: Trump should sell grain to Iran. bloomberg.com/view/articles/…
2. Fact 1: Iran has made strides in boosting its agricultural output, but still has a significant reliance on imports for key grains. The US is among the countries selling to Iran under sanctions exemptions. In August, Iran was the #1 destination for American soybeans.
This may be the most significant #Iran sanctions designation in a decade. The Trump administration knows exactly what it is doing here. It is putting the wellbeing of ordinary Iranians at risk by sanctioning a bank at the heart of trade in food + medicine. bourseandbazaar.com/articles/2018/…
The IRGC has played the main role in the Syria killings, the war in Yemen, funding Shiite proxy groups in Iraq, supporting the Lebanese Hezbollah/Hamas/Islamic Jihad... & controls Iran’s ballistic missile program.
Thanks, I am not going to discuss the part of interpretation of Islam.
I disagree with the term Wahhabism, it is irrelevant (trace the history of what so called Wahabi) and derogatory, the group of people you are referring to are Salafism who can’t be blamed for terror, see below
Salafism encourages emulating the “salaf,” or predecessors, the first followers of the Prophet Muhammad. Unlike Khawarij, Salafism are apolitical and not violent.
The ideas of extremism, radicalism and terrorism do not belong to Islam in any way, quoting from Saudi’ Mofti
It is worth mentioning that not all people who claim to be Salafi are necessarily is, for instance Alexandria’ school of Salafism is way far from pure Salafism
Oct 16 - Tehran, #Iran
Retired government & Health ministry employees, including nurses, are now holding a protest rally outside the Plan & Budget Organization office building. #IranProtests
Oct 16 - Tehran, #Iran
Retired government & Health ministry employees, including nurses, have gathered from across the country to protest outside the Plan & Budget Organization office building. #IranProtests
Oct 16 - Zanjan, NW #Iran
Taxi drivers are on strike & rallying outside the provincial governor's office. #IranStrikes
@DEsfandiary: #Iran’s regional policies are motivated not by religion but by “pragmatic nationalism”. Iran does not aim to gratuitously disrupt the region; it wants to consolidate power. But this hasn’t always played out in its favor. 2/11
@SafiraLeaf: 40 years on, Iran is no longer a revolutionary power. It is primarily committed to its own continuance but using asymmetric tools of directing proxy forces and splintering them, including the “NextGen use of Hezbollah” in Syria”. 3/11
2) “The Trump administration seems determined to cut Iran off from the global financial system. As it reimposes sanctions on the regime next month, it may take aim at the Swift messaging network that enables cross-border payments worldwide. This is a bad idea.”
3) What is SWIFT?
“SWIFT stands for the Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunications. It is a messaging network that financial institutions use to securely transmit information and instructions through a standardized system of codes.” investopedia.com/articles/perso…
It is all well & good that companies & lobbyists are reassessing #Saudi Arabia over reported murder of #JamalKhashogg. BUT! Where the fuck have all these people and firms been for decades? The violations of the #Saudi monarchy have never been a secret. nyti.ms/2CcsOjL
Glad to see people pay attention, finally, and I wish it hadn’t been over such a gruesome crime. I wish people and firms had started boycotting #Saudi royal family over its gender apartheid that affects all women there. Or the #Yemen war. Or jails full of activists. Or. And. Or.
This was my first oped about #Saudi Arabia for a US newspaper - ironically enough, The Washington Post. Fifteen schoolgirls had died in a fire because religious police wouldn’t let them out because the girls weren’t wearing a cloak and a headscarf washingtonpost.com/archive/opinio…
1) The Trump administration warns world’s banks that Tehran might try to use duplicitous means to soften the sanctions’ bite and continue to fund terrorism. nytimes.com/2018/10/11/us/…
2) “’Any country that allows its central bank to be involved in deception in support of terrorism requires the highest levels of scrutiny, particularly when the country itself is the world’s largest state sponsor of terrorism,’ said U.S. Treasury Undersecretary Sigal Mandelker.”
3) “The warning is part of a coordinated campaign by the administration to persuade banks and corporations around the world to sever all commercial ties with Iran…”
Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN) advisory on the Iranian regime’s illicit and malign activities and attempts to exploit the financial system. home.treasury.gov/news/press-rel…
Iranian regime has long used front companies to exploit financial systems around the world to generate revenues & transfer funds in support of malign conduct which includes, support to terrorist groups, missile development, human rights abuses, support to the Syrian regime, etc.
This advisory highlights the Iranian regime’s exploitation of financial institutions worldwide and describes a number of typologies used by the regime to illicitly access the international financial system and obscure and further its malign activity. fincen.gov/sites/default/…
2) @StevenErlanger discusses Europe “trying to preserve the nuclear accord” by setting up “an alternative payment mechanism that would sidestep the American-dominated banking system,” to prevent the U.S. & Israel from “starting a war.”
Both are deliberate exaggerations.
3) The “alternative payment mechanism,” dubbed by the Europeans as a “Special Payment Vehicle,” remains wishful thinking and largely symbolic. ft.com/content/6eef94…
Belgian prosecutors have raised charges against a senior diplomat of #Iran, along with three other individuals linked to planning to bomb a June rally held in Paris by the main Iranian opposition coalition NCRI (@iran_policy). reuters.com/article/us-eur…
2) "The diplomat, identified only by his given name as Assadollah A., worked at the Iranian embassy in Vienna."
3) Assadi was “deprived of his diplomatic status within 48 hours because of the existence of a European arrest warrant" against him," according to a Austrian Foreign Ministry issued back in early July. english.mojahedin.org/i/iranian-dipl…
“Iran should immediately and unconditionally end the use of the death penalty for crimes committed by children under age 18, and move toward a complete ban on capital punishment.” hrw.org/news/2018/02/0…