- Humans invest social energy in reciprocal relationships, building future support.
- Time spent reading and liking tricks our brains into thinking we have support.
- But in most cases, when a crises arises, there is nothing there.
- A human struggles to have ~150 meaningful relationships.
- When following someone with >150 connections, you've entered into a relationship blackhole.
- No matter how little you give, you are spending yourself on acts that will never give back. A drain.
With social media, this channel withers. You may read avidly, but unlike gaze, the act is one way. Energy out, never in.
- You like someone's tweet and imagine who they are as a person.
- You make space in your brain for their image.
- In spending this energy, the limited social space in your brain gives up someone. Bond weaken, ever so slightly.