1. 1925-Carroll. For first time rules ppl have less rights in cars.
2. 1987-McCleskey. Disparate impact not enough. Must show racist intent.
3. 1996-Whren. Pretextual car stops legal.inquirer.com/news/philadelp…
1. Overcriminalization: When everythings a “crime,” cops will find or make up reason to search car.
2. Mandatory minimums & pretrial detention: Make trial so painful & risky, 95% plead instead. Police misconduct insulated.
Message: Keep going. nytimes.com/2019/09/25/opi…
1. Racism. A direct line from slavery to mass punishment.
2. Mass media. A history of publicizing outlier cases that skews public perception of crime.
3. Politics. A fear that evidence-based solutions to health issues will lose elections for appearing soft on crime.