This bombshell paper released today from scientists in the UK has already radically altered national policy overnight (in the UK), and models outcomes for the UK & US.
It's not the easiest read, but it has huge implications for all of us.
If no measures are taken... i.e. we carry on as normal
- 0.5 million people will die in the UK, 2.2 million in the US
- ICU's will be overwhelmed by 2nd week of April
- Demand for ICU's will reach 30x the available capacity
- 250,000 deaths in the UK, around 1 million in the US
- ICU's overwhelmed 8x
- Est. 25,000 deaths in the UK, 100,000 in the US
- ICU capacity should not be overwhelmed
- Huge economic effects
- On and off suppression needed until a vaccine is available (18 months)
Summary: We'll be at home for a long time