, 6 tweets, 2 min read Read on Twitter
Friendly reminder:
That "white evangelical share of the national vote" is coming from the Exit Polls and is not *IN ANY WAY* credible. 1/N
This number doesn't pass any kind of logic check.

For a group to increase or maintain it's share of the electorate as it shrinks means that the relative turnout of the group needs to go up every single year.

How much? A patently unbelievable amount. 2/N
Go ahead and do the math yourself.

For WEP to have been 23% of the voting age population and 23% of the electorate in '04 means their turnout must have been roughly equal to the other 77% of people. VAP turnout was about 55% in '04, so let's use that as a starting place. 3/N
From '04 -> '18 the WEP shrank 8-points among the voting age population. Let's assume "other" turnout stayed the same (not accurate, but close enough for an example). What would WEP turnout need to be in '18 in order to make up 26% of the electorate?

An impossible 110%.

Feel free to use different starting places and different assumptions. You may not get an impossible number, but will almost certainly get a ridiculous one. 5/5
*Bonus tweet*
What does an actual demographic decline look like? Check out estimates for the share of white, noncollege in the electorate from my latest States of Change report.

Year over year, it drops.
Missing some Tweet in this thread?
You can try to force a refresh.

Like this thread? Get email updates or save it to PDF!

Subscribe to Robert Griffin
Profile picture

Get real-time email alerts when new unrolls are available from this author!

This content may be removed anytime!

Twitter may remove this content at anytime, convert it as a PDF, save and print for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video

1) Follow Thread Reader App on Twitter so you can easily mention us!

2) Go to a Twitter thread (series of Tweets by the same owner) and mention us with a keyword "unroll" @threadreaderapp unroll

You can practice here first or read more on our help page!

Follow Us on Twitter!

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just three indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3.00/month or $30.00/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Too expensive? Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal Become our Patreon

Thank you for your support!