40 Things #Kamala Talked About Other Than Cheeseburgers/Straws
1.Declare drinking water crisis on Day 1
2.Re-enter Paris Climate Agreement on Day 1
3.Ratify the Kigali Amendment to the Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer on Day 1
4.End fossil fuel leases on public lands on Day 1
5.The Climate crisis is a fight against powerful interests so "leaders need to lead, follow, or get out of the way...starting with Donald Trump"
6.Congress held a hearing to debate IF Science should be the basis for public policy
7. Get rid of the filibuster if necessary to pass a Green New Deal
8. Will take executive action and do whatever is necessary to address climate change because we have just 12 years before irreversible damage
9. Will take on powerful interests as she has done before as CA Attorney General of a state of 40 million people & 5th largest economy. She took on big oil and defended the toughest environmental standards
10. Pointed to progress as a result of leadership ie pollution in LA from 20 yrs ago vs now
11. Polluters have a profit motive to pollute so will take them to court, fine them, hold them accountable for bad behaviors
12. Asked about Paradise. Kamala discussed her visit to Paradise and the devastation
13. Provided example of how suing tobacco companies impacted their behaviors and how it could work to deter polluters
14. Asked "would you sue ExxonMobil", Kamala replied "I have sued ExxonMobil"
15. Reinforce the EPA that has been decimated by Trump
16.Kamala will establish a carbon fee. Carbon fee revenue will largely be reinvested into impacted communities (ie where kids are drinking water out of lead pipes, where wells are infected by bacteria due to flooding)
17.Immediately invest $250 Billion into clean water infrastructure
18."I'm not saying there won't be any change" but small changes ie more conscientious about turning off the lights/shorter showers make a difference
19. By 2045 will have only zero emissions vehicles
20. By 2030 will have only electric school buses impacting 25 million students
21.Private sector has shown it will innovate and meet standards that set by the govt
22. "It is a false choice to say either you are in favor of the environment or you are in favor of a strong economy. We can do both"
23. In favor of banning fracking and has a history of working on that
24. In favor of banning offshore drilling and references the work she did for a Santa Barbara community on that
25. Will create incentives to change behavior around single use plastics. Details how people will adapt.
26. Details how we need a better government response to the overarching dietary issues.
27.Supports changing the food pyramid
Discusses the power of consumer awareness in incentivizing better behaviors
28.Discusses the power of consumer awareness in incentivizing better behaviors
29.Expand the food label to include an environmental impact of the item
30.Climate change fee/carbon fee will connected to bad behaviors
31.Kamala will require all elements of industry to be transparent on the carbon imprint from their business which will be scored
32.Discussed the need to undo the damage from Trump's gutting of agencies/regulations.
32. (Cont'd) "Donald Trump has got everybody excited about those crazy tweets, meanwhile with this hand quietly undoing regulations that were built up over years.
33. Discusses the issue of nuclear waste and doesn't side with Bernie on totally eliminating nuclear waste
34. Russia's outsize icebreaker activity is part of their attempt to expand their territory
35.Discusses corruption of Trump administration picking industry executives over public servants to oversee agencies that are supposed to regulate industry
36. 1 of her priorities will be preservation of public lands
37. Will empower communities that are often ignored- disability, indigenous, black, brown, impoverished communities
38. Created the 1st Environmental Justice Unit in the San Francisco District Attorney's office.
38 (contd) Discusses the Bay View where the avg income =$15K. She took on co's that dumped into the water causing adverse health impacts. No community should be less than those who have money/power to stop bad actors.
39. As CA AG, she stepped in where others hadn't before for Mira Loma. Their babies had the lowest rate of lung development in the area
40.Mentioned her disability plan to extend access and increase resources