- Edit your Twitter & FB bio, email sig, etc to include your pronouns, whether you're #trans or not.
- ALWAYS introduce yourself with your name AND pronouns, eg: "I'm Danielle & my pronouns are she/her."
- NEVER say "preferred pronouns." It's not a preference. My pronouns are she/her; anything else is inaccurate.
- "I was telling him—sorry, her—that she might consider asking a librarian for help" etc.
DO NOT make a big deal out of apologizing. Do not even pause. Just correct it and move on. Seriously, it's truly that simple.
"Hey, what pronouns do you use?"
It's that easy 💕
DO NOT ask follow-up questions. Someone telling you their pronouns is NOT an invitation for a free, on-demand private lesson ab #trans issues.
- "Someone left their sunglasses at the desk."
- "See that person over there? The person with the crop top & long red hair"
If you're accustomed to calling elders, customers etc "sir/ma'am" it may feel impolite at first. But misgendering is MUCH WORSE. Just leave it off entirely instead.
DON'T ARGUE. If someone tells you different pronouns 1 day to the next, just say "OK" & switch
Life is already hard for #trans people. Using the correct pronouns is free. YOU can make a difference.
If you liked this thread, & you want to help support my work as a full-time activist & public speaker, one way you can help is by using some of your privilege to support me in doing this work! You can make a monthly pledge here: patreon.com/daniellemuscato