(1) Reading Jake Sullivan’s latest @TheAtlantic piece, I wonder why such individuals & outlets are so alarmed about regime change in #Iran. theatlantic.com/international/…
Do they benefit in Tehran's mullahs remaining in power?
They may claim not, yet actions speak louder than words.
(2) Sullivan’s entire argument is based on the fact that sanctions, and more generally a firm policy against #Iran, will bear no fruit. Taking a look at the past 15 months, in contrast to the #Obama years, much of Iran’s malign behavior has taken a nosedive.
(3) Sullivan praises himself (& thus the #Obama team) of negotiating the #IranDeal. What he & others like him refuse to explain is the fact that the people of #Iran, #Syria & other countries across the region are paying the price of their “achievement” with their very lives…
In 2007, Assad won the Presidential “Election” by a whopping 99.82% of the popular vote. Let me explain how that happened, as I played a small role in it. In that year, he ran unopposed and it was impossible under the Constitution to contest anyone other than him in #Syria. 1/
Elections in #Syria at that time and prior to them were litmus tests of people’s allegiance to the Regime. Failure to vote was looked at suspiciously, and you could be questioned for it. At the same time, voting booths were monitored for dissenters/opposition who dared vote no.
I woke up the morning of the election determined to vote “no” not because I hated Assad, I was indifferent then - but that he was not running against any candidate. The ballot had two comical choices, one was much larger than the other in case you couldn’t take a hint. #Syria 3/
What happened in #Syria/n Air Force in #Hama
Nearby locals were burning the arid grass near the base
The fire spread to ammunitions which were deployed out side of depots
Minor explosions occurred then massive ones.
After the first explosion all the soldiers went to shelters.
4 ammo depots were completely destroyed.
Heavy equipment losses.
No martyrs only injures, because everyone took cover. #Hama AB contains no #Iran/ian forces, they left the base before the #Israel/i attack on the 47th brigade.
I reported previously that the incident occurred due to a malfunction while welding an aerial bomb, but it was false.
This is the correct and accurate story told by my source in the AB.
Curious what facts MSM is not reporting about today's planned tantrum in #Gaza that Palestinians call the #GazaReturnMarch? Look no further and unwind this thread 👇 #Israel
These planned riots on the border between #Israel and #Gaza have been taking place for 6+ weeks and expected to culminate on May 15th (tomorrow), to coincide with the Palestinian “Nakba” day.
#GazaReturnMarch is of course named after the so-called "right of return" of 5 - 7 million refugees and their offspring because Palestinians are invested in the mythology that they flood and strangle #Israel, a country of 8 million. Keep dreaming.
A THREAD ON #ISRAEL'S AIRSTRIKES IN #SYRIA. A relative of mine, who will remain nameless, is a source inside the Syrian Army. I recently spoke to him regarding the Israeli strikes. I told him that I did not believe #Russia would greenlight an Israeli strike of such magnitude...
I was told that #Putin, who many are saying gave #Netanyahu a "greenlight", did nothing of the sort. The Israelis were not given a greenlight by Putin, nor do they possess some magical airforce/bombs...rather, what they did was simplistic...and very stupid...
Russia and the U.S. have an understanding regarding the flight-paths of their fighter jets - they each have each other's unique transponder signals - the Israelis decided to fly into Syria, via Jordan, while transmitting a U.S. transponder signal.
(2) @jrezaian claims the regime will respond “with the behavior of a bully, by ratcheting up pressure on the people it rules over.”
He doesn't mention how #Obama’s JCPOA gave #Iran the green light to continue its execution inside the country & havoc across the region. #Hypocrisy
(3) Interesting how @jrezaian claims there “won’t be any attacks on Israel” and on the very same day #Iran’s IRGC-associated proxy groups in #Syria launched rockets towards the Golan Heights.
#Syria launched 10s of missiles against 4 #Israel/I military objectives in the occupied #GolanHeight in response to continuous Israeli provocation of war (hitting Syrian & allies' targets in various locations).
#Iran will follow & is expected to deny any access to #IAEA inspectors to any nuclear facility in the country and re-open closed nuclear facilities.
Iran will never renounce on its missile development.
#Lebanon: The final analysis of the #LebaneseElection2018 shows (a.) the electoral triumph of Hezbollah,Amal&allies (b.) division of Sunnis, with weakness of PM Hariri, & (c) a lesser division of the Christians. (1)
The Sunni vote was distributed among PM Hariri, Miqati, Karami & few others. Hariri, being not objectionable by Hezbollah, can still get another term. But this will depend on orientation of his program’s regional relations. (2)
President Aoun will be challenged by the new gains of the Lebanese Forces, but not a challenge strong enough to undermine his current position. (3)
Wow! I am watching @almanarnews discussing the parliamentary elections and they have shown videos in some voting locations of #Hariri men distributing money to voters waiting to vote. #lebanonelections2018
However, preliminary indications are that the candidate challenging #Hariri in his home turf #Saida, Ousama Saad, will be elected.
Polls will close in 4' in #Lebanon, the access to vote has been slow, news anchors are calling on voters to enter voting locations, even if it means they will be packed to earn the right to vote after 7 p.m. local because there will be no extension. #lebanonelections2018
(1) In his take @SinaToossi claims the “Clinton and Obama administrations” thought about the Iranian people, conveniently forgetting how Clinton did nothing in the face of #Iran’s 1999 students uprising crackdown & Obama turned his back on Iranians in 2009 atlanticcouncil.org/blogs/iransour…
(2) @SinaToossi blows his cover by mentioning “regime change,” making clear his mission, being a Tehran apologist, of devoting his “journalism” to preserving a regime with a grotesque human rights dossier in power.
Over 3,000 executions under #Iran's “moderate” Hassan Rouhani.
(3) @SinaToossi voices his main concern, being the #IranProtests, by attempting to downsize the 2017/2018 uprising to “parts of Iran.”
Reminder: Over 142 cities were scenes of unprecedented revolt, prompting the regime to kill more than 50 protesters & arrest over 8,000.
We will look back on the belittling, dismissal or denial by prominent Western figures of the Assad government's crimes in the same light as we look back on the denial of Stalin’s crimes. #Syria
I say this as someone who is *opposed* to Western military intervention in Syria, which I believe can only make a terrible situation worse. It would be nice to be able to speak out against Assad’s war without being called a warmonger, but this is a looking glass world
The major difference between Assad’s crimes against humanity and Stalin’s is that Assad’s are much better documented. There is a massive trove of forensic and testimonial evidence. They are among the best-documented war crimes in history.
Thread on Compulsory Syrian Military Service: This has arguably been one of the most important social & Eco issue that has confronted every Syrian male for decades (since the uprising it has become even more critical. This note will call for the need to PUT AN END TO THIS POLICY
2-Currently, military service is mandatory for all Syrian males over the age of 18. Students can delay their service while males who who are only sons are exempt from military service. Men may also be exempt from military service for medical reasons. There are other exemptions
3-Syrians born outside of Syria and residing abroad until the age of 18 can pay for exemption. Syrians born in Syria, but who left Syria before reaching the age of 11, have their own fee. In effect, there are various fees ranging from $500 to $8500 depending on person's situation