(Please RT to spread the word.) 1/
While all eyes were on the healthcare debate in Congress, at least 6 states requested authority to do so last year alone. 5/
Today's announcement is expected to kick off approval of those requests, likely starting with Kentucky. 6/
Study after study shows having health insurance doesn't just lead to better health--it translates into increased work capacity, and in turn higher wages & earnings. 8/
- that "the poor" are people who "just don't want to work"
- that anyone who wants a well-paying job can snap her fingers & make one appear
- that having a job is all it takes to not be poor
But the guidance itself admits that this will fail to protect the countless people with disabilities who don't fall into that bucket. 13/
But it then makes clear states CAN'T USE FEDERAL MEDICAID FUNDS to pay for these services. 14/
- Two-thirds reported a chronic physical illness
- 35% reported a diagnosed mental illness
- One-quarter reported a physical/mental condition that interfered with their ability to function at least half the time.