Voting for @jkenney and the @Alberta_UCP may be scarier than you think. Pro-life group Campaign Life Coalition are training & getting UCP candidates nominated across Alberta. Trampling women's rights is one thing but there's much more that should alarm you! #ableg#abpoli#LGBTQ
They're anti-lgbtq rights and believe that 50% of gay men are gay because they learned it from being molested as a youth by a pedophile. If that isn't shocking enough...
They promote conversion therapy & believe that thousands of people have changed their orientation to heterosexual "with the help of spiritual & psychological counseling".
What irks me is the same people who started #boycottAW and #boycottEarls and #boycottTimHortons are the same people who are calling for this Ford vision of "free speech." In their mind, staging boycotts on businesses they deem don't support oil or Alberta beef are fine. >
But when students protest, peacefully, the speaking engagements of people like Faith Goldy, then suddenly they clutch their pearls and shout "Free speech," as though what free speech means is that horrid views deserve a platform at public institutions. < #ableg#abpse#cdnpse
Actually, I'm not done. Apparently, this is going to be a rant.
Part of what universities do is teach students to become engaged citizens, active participants in society and politics. Part of that can mean peaceful protest. >
At the office of MP Deepak Obhrai, who will be joined by a journalist allegedly attacked by UCP supporters last weekend. #yyc#ableg#cdnpoli
A statement from the MP says the journalist was attacked following an outdoor concert in the northeast, and was triggered "by the journalist's views on a UCP nomination". Recently there was a case of alleged ballot stuffing during a nomination process #ableg#yyc
Journalist Kumar Sharma (left) says a group of men attacked him last weekend following a concert
1. In 2012, Kenney was adamant about holding a citizenship ceremony at now-defunct Sun News TV's ("Fox News North") studio. Sun Media demanded that bureaucrats comply.
2. We're left to speculate as to why. To boost ratings with their flagging TV network? To give Kenney an uncritical platform to woo cultural communities? To distance their brand from Kenney-friend and host Ezra Levant's racist screeds?
It’s important for people to understand the substance of the Saskatchewan carbon price reference case that Jason Kenney supports. Let’s start with a few accurate premises, then draw some logical conclusions about Kenney’s positions.
Premise #1: SK’s case DOES NOT argue that Gov’t of Canada (GoC) lacks the jurisdiction to price carbon.
Premise #2: Indeed, SK accepts that GoC has the jurisdiction to price carbon across Canada (as virtually everyone does, see news.gov.mb.ca/news/index.htm… ).
Jason Kenney is one of the most anti-LGBTQ2+ politicians to ever hold elected office in Canada. If you don’t believe me, here’s a timeline detailing @jkenney's 20-year fight against LGBTQ2+ equality. (1/28) #ableg#abpoli#cdnpoli
January 1998: Jason Kenney refers to the Vriend case (which held it was unconstitutional to exclude gays and lesbians from human rights laws) as a “virus” of judicial activism. (2/28) #ableg#abpoli#cdnpoli
January 1998: Jason Kenney urges Alberta Premier Ralph Klein to invoke section 33 of the Charter (a.k.a. the notwithstanding clause) to block human rights protections for gays and lesbians. (3/28) #ableg#abpoli#cdnpoli
Thread 1. Today my partner and kids sat behind a table of seniors having lunch. We got to sit and listen to them talking about upcoming elections. And how we're being hurt by Indians and immigrants and the Chinese.
2. As we sat with our indigenous kids we were treated to older people talking about how they would vote for parties that would make sure immigrants and minorities would stay in line and 'follow the rules.'
3. They ate their lunch cooked and served by immigrants, sitting beside aboriginal children, discussing how they would vote to keep immigrants and minorities from wanting too much.
1. @jkenney and #UCP are supporting SK’s challenge, which argues that fed carbon price can only be constitutional if it applies to every province, incl Alberta, not just those without their own price, like SK and ON. #ableg#abpoli
2. In other words, Kenney isn’t just proposing to waste AB’s $ on lawyers to fight a legal loser: he’s demanding that Ottawa collect carbon charges in Alberta, not just SK & ON. #abpoli
3. I’m not kidding. The fight Kenney wants to wage is to demand Ottawa extend its carbon price collection to Alberta, instead of exempting Alberta from Ottawa’s tax in favour of a made-in-Alberta design that accounts for Alberta’s unique circumstances.
[Thread] With Canada's Conservatives going into a full court press in Alberta, I think it's worth taking a look at what we might expect from a Kenney-led government. #ableg#abpoli /1
The first point to bear in mind here is the fact that we are seeing the same tactics being played out at all levels of government where conservatives are running. /2
In Alberta, we've had Kenney running around making all sorts of dog-whistle politics claims about how "great" he will make Alberta, but he has been surprisingly silent about just what that means in terms of policy. /3
The Rempel experiment. I contacted 10 people that I personally knew, who were Twitter users and not very political, or yet #BlockedByRempel. I asked them one simple favour. To ask Michelle Rempel a fair immigration based question as non-partisanly as possible. #cdnpoli#ableg
Questions asked were, "While I agree that irregular immigration had increased, could we find a solution that didn't require rhetoric" or variations of it, asked directly to Michelle Rempel via a reply to one of her Tweets. #cdnpoli#ableg#BlockedByRempel
If not blocked the first time, to ask a second question along the lines of "What about your policy for irregular immigration would differ from the Liberals?" Or a variation of that. Well, the results were shocking/not shocking. #BlockedByRempel#cdnpoli#cdnmedia
Just a reminder of who runs Unite Albertas SM accounts... Ezra Levants ex producer at Sun News Media Matt Wolf and Nick Koolsbergen, Harpers Director of Issue Management.. If Alberta isnt in business anymore... how are all these SoCons employeed *cough Brad Wall cough* #Ableg
2) If you all don't know who Jason Kenney's Chief of Staff, Nick Koolsberg is... let me give you a brief tour (ignore the fact he lives in hoodies, no need for that distraction)..
So @DavidStaplesYEG, the @EdmontonJournal columnist with an uncanny ability to deliver the very hottest of not-even-wrong takes, offers a column on the new K-4 Social Studies curriculum that is astonishing in the multitudinous ways it manages to bungle the details. #abed#ableg
So let's start from the top. Staples alleged that the draft K-4 curriculum was being kept under wraps in order to something-something-NDP-bad, & not (say) b/c it's a prelim draft & this is just an early phase of the feedback & review process.
It's a very early draft. It's expected to have rough edges, and that's why they're gathering initial feedback from the people that signed-up to participate in this preliminary review process. This stuff is completely routine, even mundane. #abed#ableg
Dad grew up in Trinidad, 4th of 10. He loved electronics & working w/ his hands. He learned to build bread boxes out of coconut oil tins & sold them to get $2.50 to buy a do-it-yourself crystal radio kit. He stole a telephone handset to craft a speaker. #ableg
He went on to vocational school and took pleasure in learning various trades (woodworking, metalworking, electrical) alongside regular classes. He was in the top 10 students in every subject. Top student in some. #ableg
Morneau starts off with a joke that isn’t funny; says last time he was here there was a sense of worry. Says they worked hard to come up w/ sol’n
Weird. Solution involves the pockets of Canadians instead of enforcing the law🤷🏻♀️ #KinderMorgan#ableg#cdnpoli#yycchamber
Now a protester. A women yelling. Saying pipeline will never get built. She is being booed out. And escorted out. 😱 #yyc#ableg#cdnpoli
Morneau says hard things are hard 🧐
Guess he is smarter than us eh? He is using our money.
Says he was a strong defender of the project. Now thanking people who have been working on this project for longer than him.
This argument gets dumber every time it's used, so it was just a matter of time before Jason Kenney picked up on it. It's been thoroughly refuted many times, but here are some examples to show just how fallacious it is. [THREAD] #ableg#cdnpoli
The premise of the "environmentalists can't use oil" argument is that if someone uses a particular product or service, they don't get to criticize any activity of the industry, or related industries, that supplied it.
But what if this was applied to other goods and services?
Public Schools: If you went to a public school, you're not allowed to criticize teacher's unions. You must approve all funding that school administrators demand and support the construction of new schools and universities, even if there are already ample spaces.
2. Mr. Kenney has been waging an all-out rhetorical assault on carbon pricing, claiming they're ineffective and costly. The vast majority of economists of all stripes disagree: they are the lowest-cost, most efficient policy for addressing climate change. ecofiscal.ca/carbon-pricing/
3. Mr. Kenney apparently also disagrees now, realizing that as a free-market conservative who professes to believe in climate change, he HAS to support carbon pricing. #ableg#abpoli
[Graphic Language] Jason Kenney disgustingly equated LGBTQ2+ rights to polygamy and incest. Sadly, he’s not the only Conservative who has attacked the LGBTQ2+ community. Here is a list of offensive remarks that have been made by other Conservatives… (1/6) #hoc#ableg#lgbt
Harold Albrecht (@Albrecht4KitCon), the #CPC MP for Kitchener Conestoga, warned same-sex marriage “would succeed in wiping out an entire society in just one generation…” (2/6) #hoc#ableg#lgbt
Tom Lukiwski (@TomLukiwski), the #CPC MP for Moose Jaw Lake Centre Lanigan, proclaimed "There's A's and there's B's. The A's are guys like me. The B's are homosexual faggots with dirt on their fingernails that transmit diseases." (3/6) #hoc#ableg#lgbt