Discover and read the best of Twitter Threads about #netzero

Most recents (4)

Chris Stark, @theCCCuk, says this is a 'crunch moment' for the CCC, thanks to renewed interest in climate change and #NetZero emissions, ahead of the Committee's forthcoming advice to Government on the UK's long-term #climatechange targets, due out on 2 May 2019 #UKClimateAction
Chris takes us back to 2008, and the CCC's initial advice to Government which was commensurate with keeping global temps to below 2degsC - an 80% reduction in emissions below 1990 levels - which Parliament agreed. But 'a great deal has changed' since then he adds #UKClimateAction
"We have to stop burning fossil fuels or start sequestering carbon, or both," says @ChiefExecCCC, and we "are now on the clock". If not, "we risk locking in a set of emissions that will not be easily unwound. The impacts are now really upon us," he adds #TowardsNetZero
Read 10 tweets
THREAD| Draft of the #Climate Change Act, presented by (@bmu) this week: The proposal is a framework law, featuring elements from international acts, e.g. from UK (@theCCCuk). In contrast to the German Climate Action Plan 2050, it will be legally binding. #Klimaschutzgesetz
2| The framework law includes emission reduction targets, defines CO2 budgets for each sector, and clarifies responsibilities, as well as review, transparency & sanctioning mechanisms. Implementation measures for each sector will be detailled in 2030 programmes, due in Mar 2019.
3| Progress will be supported by an independent advisory group of 7 experts. Focus is on reaching the 2030 CO2 reduction targets, but the draft works towards at least 95% reduction by 2050. The remaining 5% to reach #netzero could be reached through compensation policies.
Read 14 tweets
At #greenerUK #CPC18 fringe, ⁦@michaelgove⁩ in conversation with WWF’s ⁦@TanyaMSteele⁩. Needless to say, the room is creaking at the seams!
First time we’re hearing more detail on PM’s promised #environmentbill. Gove: as well as addressing #AirPollution it will tackle waste & resources to move us towards a #CircularEconomy
At the time of #climatechange Act, people were worried its ambitious targets would harm economic growth - quite the opposite has happened, says Gove #cpc18 #greenerUK
Read 17 tweets
The UK could be #CarbonNeutral by 2050, meeting its #ParisAgreement targets, according to a new report from The Royal Society and @RAEngNews. Here are 8 technologies and approaches that could be vital (a thread) royalsociety.org/greenhouse-gas…
Forestation – whether it’s replacing lost trees or creating new forests, this technique means more trees. Better management could remove as much as 12 gigatonnes of carbon dioxide per year.
Habitat restoration – 80% of the UK’s wetlands, peatlands & coastal habitats are considered to be in poor condition. Restoring these could prevent previously trapped carbon from escaping, & store up to 18 tonnes of carbon dioxide per hectare per year royalsociety.org/topics-policy/…
Read 10 tweets

Related hashtags

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!


This site is made by just three indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3.00/month or $30.00/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Too expensive? Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal Become our Patreon

Thank you for your support!