1. Cabinet minister accused of not telling truth by NAO, authorities to say Vote Leave broke law in #euref, Cabinet squabbling over eu plans they haven’t all even seen yet and eu likely to reject, brexiteer MPs summoned to see chief whip - just another day in 2018 -oh, and #pmqs
2. Anyone else ready for the holidays?
3. If it’s the kind of thing that floats your boat, apparently ERG MPs summoned the chief whip not the other way round -
Tax-paying EU citizens in UK:
1 Denied vote over their own future in #EURef
2 Told "nothing would change" in case of #Brexit
3 Dubbed "bargaining chips" by UK Govt
4 Been left "in limbo" for 2 years
5 Forced to pay a fee just to be allowed to get on with their lives #shameful
And on top of that, EU citizens have been publicly abused in a sustained tabloid hate campaign; some have been victims of hate crimes; and, overall, their plight has been largley ignored by UK TV news, incl. @BBCNews & @Channel4News ...
... These "EU citizens" are our friends, neighbours, colleagues, partners, spouses, girlfriends, boyfriends & family members. And for the last 40+ years, British people have been EU citizens too ...
Early on Thursday my 2nd daughter was born & she is doing well.
Any of you who are parents will appreciate the feelings of pride & affection I have experienced for the last few days. Many will also appreciate the desire as a father to give your child the best future you can 2/14
My 1st child was born in the build up to the #EUref and turned 3 months of the day of the vote.
As a result of being a new father, being complacent & having never been political before, I didn’t campaign in 2016 apart from sharing many of anti-brexit articles on Facebook! 3/14
Backed by 70% of voters (#LocalElections2018) our two major parties aim to take UK down to the minor leagues of sub-#G20 growth, supported by NO detailed plans as to the costs, complexities & consequences of such bizarre recklessness. Not just insane, but amazingly short-sighted!
2. Is this a case of who blinks first? Surely I, and fellow well-informed remainers, are not in exclusive possession of key economic facts and trends? Con/Lab MUST have these too? Maybe everyone should check the latest @guardian piece by @williamnhutton!
3. People who think Brexit (in any form!) would be easy, painless or cost-free are very sorely deluded! Maybe the 70% who just voted Con/Lab in #LocalElections2018 should have been asking 'that question' of their wannabe councillors? before parting with their votes? Too late now!
This time last year, the local Labour Party (including many council candidates) were busy campaigning to get Hoey back into parliament. She’s been the Vauxhall Labour Party MP since the late 1980s.
The same cohort of campaigners are now distributing literature, tweets etc emphasising their “pro EU” stance and their support for the many thousands of EU residents living and working in Lambeth.
Today Hoey again spoke in Parliament - in favour of the hardest Brexit possible.
You cannot have both. It is *not possible* to both campaign and fund and support Kate Hoey MP while also campaigning on a Pro-EU platform. It does not square. At best it is a confused position, indicative of a local party at war, but at worst it is misleading and unfair.
One of the most depressing things about whole #Brexit shambles is that most people with any knowledge of international relations, trade, diplomacy, etc. warned of the negative consequences which are becoming more and more obvious. They were ignored, branded as liars and abused.
The long timescale between #EURef and #Brexit means that negative consequences weren't immediately apparent, but as we rush headlong towards 29th March 2019 with no certainty of what next, folk are beginning to wonder if this is such a great idea. If perhaps, Leave lied to them
I suppose this gives a degree of academic 'bragging rights' to those of us who warned that Johnson, Gove, Farage etc. were lying charlatans, that Leave could never deliver their contradictory promises, and that Brexit would be against the national interest… but…
1. So, illegal/ruinous Brexit being pushed by HMG with no plan B & dead against latest WOTP. In other news, deportations of aged long-stay black residents continue & BBC 'pops up' with Full Monty of Enoch Powell racist speech from 50 yrs ago. Britain NOW neither Great nor United!
2. A grim co-incidence of unwelcome home/foreign events makes it more likely that both Houses of Parliament will find a way to #StopBrexit2018 - now that its implications look even less appealing to British voters, on the back of an #Euref vote that looks ever less safe & valid!
3. If both Houses of Parliament don't #StopBrexit2018, what's at stake for the UK?
a Economy will be trashed
b Union will be broken
c NHS will be privatised
d State benefits will be slashed
e National debt crisis will provoke yet more currency devaluation + higher inflation.
All medias, when they talk about @The3Million EU citizens living in the UK and #Brexit, they talk about families and how they can become very vulnerable.
But my story is not covered by this situation and is not unique.
We're vulnerable without a family to support us. Thread 1/20
I came in the UK in Oct 2013 to follow a boyfriend that I had by that time and because I wanted to leave France.
I thought that would be a great opportunity as lots of french young professionals want to go to the UK. That was my chance. 2/20
I was an Electrical Engineer in France with an equivalent of a Bachelor of Science in Electrical engineering. I did not know the English language very well and most important, the British Standards. But I did my 50% of my Bachelor in Germany so I thought I'll be alright. 3/20
10 mths on from a rash, premature, totally unplanned #Article50 trigger, we still await clarity as to what #Brexit might mean? But HMG has now confirmed what we knew 19 mths back - Brexit remains totally unaffordable! We've spent a fortune to establish that simple & obvious fact!
Have known from the off that Brexit must be halted: 1.Our negotiating position was weakened by #A50 trigger, not strengthened. 2.Obvious from day 1 that ANY form of Brexit would be totally unaffordable - as we have 5x more debt since 1997 and run a huge visible trade imbalance.
- 3.UK has a dominant services sector (incl financial services) and stands to lose disproportionately MORE than any other of the EU27, from leaving the SM & CU. 4.Our overall productivity also lags the G20 norm, not a good 'go-it-alone' platform!
A (loooong) thread abt Brexit populism and fascism.
Emphatically *not* a thread saying ppl who voted Brexit are fascists.
But one saying there’s some pretty fascist shit going on in the mainstream, pro-hard-Brexit, right. 1/20
2/ Back in '95 Umberto Eco wrote abt the common features of Euro fascism in a piece weirdly prescient of the discourse & ideology of the hard-Brexit supporting right… which, by his definition, is working to a fascist playbook (ta @peterjukes 4 the share) nybooks.com/articles/1995/…
3/ Fascism has *always* been a contradictory hodge-podge of disjointed approaches to bits and bobs of tradition, politics, culture, history, & spirituality; it’s *never* been singular & coherent, & is usually composed of numerous (contradictory) features. Features like these…
1. Wrote thread recently on #EURef#Brexit based on personal experiences of my Polish partner & me. Got some comments. TBH I could’ve said more. So here’s an expanded version...
2. Purpose of this thread is to show cumulative effect of anti-foreigner rhetoric, headlines, casual speech & policies on real people: me (English) & my partner (Polish). I realise from xp that some will deny problem or just blame us...
3. Polish partner in UK 20 yrs. Always worked & paid taxes. Always gives generously to Poppy Appeal & raises money for UK charities. She speaks perfect English with an accent & works on reception in large complex...
#EURef#Brexit 1. Am English & partner is Polish. We used to shop in the local market. But one day a market guy called my girlfriend a "bloody foreigner". So we don't shop in the local market anymore...
#EURef#Brexit 2. Am English & partner is Polish. We used to watch #BBC News & Politics progs. But when BBC became a platform for UKIP & #Brexit we stopped watching...
#EURef#Brexit 3. Am English & partner is Polish. We used to look at the newspapers. But when the newspaper headlines began screaming hate about "foreigners" we stopped reading the newspapers...
Among reasons for opposing Brexit is UK's unpreparedness for such a huge change! Unless we stop this now, the purported benefits may be less than pre-sold? and the warned downsides may well be worse? If either or both? our public finances could implode under self-imposed strain.
Consider UK's low productivity relative to our G20 peers - well publicised but poorly understood? Improving 'this' over a sustained period would surely have been preferable pre-requisite prior to anything as profound as Brexit!
Look at UK's ballooning national debt, which has 'more than quadrupled' since John Major left office in 1997. Ask any ordinary Jo if they'd fancy racking up such a huge mortgage? (ours is £2 trillion) before resigning a job to venture into business on their own!