Here are six of the most ridiculous claims from #ProjectFear about the impact of a clean #Brexit on businesses, prices and jobs. I’m paraphrasing to make my points, but all are staples of the #Remain camp. (1/8)
Myth 1. Businesses have become so reckless that they now rely on fragile just-in-time supply chains where even the slightest new friction would be catastrophic, and it would be impossible to adapt them without the massive disruption of relocating. (2/8)
Myth 2. Businesses selling only into the EU are so feeble that they would find it very difficult and costly to start filling in a simple customs return, even though they already manage to deal with all the other paperwork required. (3/8)
Blocking accounts (trolls & bots) thread
A lot of #remain ers don't really understand the situation they are facing on Twitter, they see an online debate where #Leave and #Remain put their points forward and whoever has the best logic wins.
2/ Raab was one of a group of Tory MPs including Liz Truss & Priti Patel who described British workers as "among the worst idlers in the world" and called for the emulation of the work ethic (long unregulated hours) and low tax (for the rich) culture to be found in parts of Asia.
3/ Before the referendum Dominic Raab was one of the Tory MPs making it clear that there would be Tory calls for a 2nd referendum (a straight replay) in the event of a #Remain victory. He had the generosity to say that it shouldn't take place for at least 2 years.
You make a very common mistake in thinking that everyone that votes in a Labour constituency is a Labour voter. In the vast majority of constituencies, the majority of #leave voters were habitually voters for other parties. Labour voters voted #remain - even in #leave constits
The small % of them that voted #leave may have tipped the balance in the referendum, but they are by no means the majority of the voter base in most constituencies. It could be argued that Labour has already lost those seats, in losing 4 seats in GE2017.
In all of those seats Labour still increased its vote, it was simply that an overwhelming UKIP vote returned to the Tories, which was too big, when combined with the Tory vote, to overturn. #stopbrexit#FBPE
The Ukip vote can do little more damage, as it has already moved.
1. Sick to the back teeth of hearing the PM stating vaccous nonsense in Parl incl that she is implementing what the BritishPeople voted for.
No politician can now say what the People want..she has no right to subvert a false Will of the Ppl to her own Party political interest
2. She states 80% of ppl voted for parties backing #Brexit. This is arrogant rubbish as proven by any research undertaken. Many votes were tactical & a multi issue GE can't be taken as backing a given version or indeed any version. She lost her mandate Labour didn't win one!
I've been doing a bit of number crunching to see what date, with no-one changing their minds, demographics will show that the British people voted to remain. That date is 27th January 2021. On that date, the UK voted #Remain. (1/3)
1. Seen quite a bit of anti #FBPE nonsense...mainly from the further left..we've been called a cult by Corbynistas...I'd remind them, cultists worship deities PEOPLE or objects; opposing a #Brexit which is leaving us all Poorer, Weaker with Less Control & Fewer Rights is neither.
2. Using #FBPE doesn't make us anti Corbyn or Labour it makes us anti #Brexit & sadly that means we are in opposition to those who are forcing a flawed #BrexitShambles upon the Ppl & denying the Ppl a #FinalSay a #PeoplesVote to Confirm the Will of the Ppl to leave or to #Remain.
3. Fighting to give the Ppl a #FinalSay nor indeed giving the Ppl a #PeoplesVote doesn't thwart #Brexit nor disrespect anyone..it merely allows everyone to Confirm if they still want it or now to #StopBrexit & #Remain...it's called DEMOCRACY as it allows ppl to change their minds
#FPBE - couple of good sites with stuff about how the EU works which is quick & easy to access. A few #leave voters could do worse than have a look - but that is just a suggestion. Most of the stuff that people get wrong repeatedly is called out in these & explained well. 1/n
1) Richard Corbett - Labour MEP for Yorkshire & known as an expert (sorry) on the EU. Has a website & a linked app you can access on a phone. He is leader of Labour in the EU.
a) website richardcorbett.org.uk
I have seen JC supporters over the last few days repeatedly say that #FBPE is a one issue "Party" & that we are obsessed with #brexit and with destroying JC.
So I want to address this in 2 ways - This is my personal answer .............
1) #FBPE is a Europe-wide pro-EU group. It supports democracy, internationalism & is against populism, offshore billionaires running countries, autocracy, kleptocracy, fascism & any forms of extremism. The belief is that Democracy is an ongoing conversation. 2/n
Issues may differ in different countries, so in the UK, #FBPE is a pro-remain campaign group. It is a hashtag that brings together like-minded people on Social Media. it is not a political party, nor does it represent one. 3/n
#FBPE is on the same side as:
Unite, GMB & Community Unions
CBI, IoD, FSB, BCC & EEF
Labour NW & West Midland MPs
Majority of Labour MP's
Majority of UK population
Majority of Labour members
On: #CustomsUnion#SingleMarket & #PeoplesVote
The transport union, TSSA:
"The left should unite now and come together to stop this Tory act of war against our class...
Supporting Tory/UKIP Brexit is unacceptable class collaboration.
Early on Thursday my 2nd daughter was born & she is doing well.
Any of you who are parents will appreciate the feelings of pride & affection I have experienced for the last few days. Many will also appreciate the desire as a father to give your child the best future you can 2/14
My 1st child was born in the build up to the #EUref and turned 3 months of the day of the vote.
As a result of being a new father, being complacent & having never been political before, I didn’t campaign in 2016 apart from sharing many of anti-brexit articles on Facebook! 3/14
Compromise. Should we, as #remain ers consider some sort of accomodation of the #leave supporters? I think we shouldn't & will explain why I believe this fundamentally.
There are 4 reasons for not doing. I will explain my reasons for each. 1) Did #leave actually win? 2) Cheating & why it should never be rewarded. 3) Appeasement, extremists don't compromise 4) In real terms - this is mashing the country & will do in a way you can't imagine.
1. So, illegal/ruinous Brexit being pushed by HMG with no plan B & dead against latest WOTP. In other news, deportations of aged long-stay black residents continue & BBC 'pops up' with Full Monty of Enoch Powell racist speech from 50 yrs ago. Britain NOW neither Great nor United!
2. A grim co-incidence of unwelcome home/foreign events makes it more likely that both Houses of Parliament will find a way to #StopBrexit2018 - now that its implications look even less appealing to British voters, on the back of an #Euref vote that looks ever less safe & valid!
3. If both Houses of Parliament don't #StopBrexit2018, what's at stake for the UK?
a Economy will be trashed
b Union will be broken
c NHS will be privatised
d State benefits will be slashed
e National debt crisis will provoke yet more currency devaluation + higher inflation.
We have advertising law in the UK & most countries. It covers goods & services bc we know that adverts influence people. eg we are not allowed to use cartoons to advertise to kids, or to advertise cigs on TV. There is 7 day cooling off if a sale happens in your home. 2/n
So - everyone who knows anything about the psychology of advertising - knows that advertising works. Anyway - why would anyone spend all that money on it, if it didn't? Large companies routinely spend millions of £ to influence what you spend your money on. 3/n #ABTV
1. When will those craven MPs, who fail to put natl interest 1st, wake up to the harsh reality; the #Brexit vote & process was subverted & flawed, the Will of the People unclear & misrepresented & that our country can only end up Poorer, Weaker with Fewer Rights & less Control.
3. Jeremy Corbyn & the Labour leadership are being equally disingenuous & like the Tories putting the ideology of the Far Left before the interests of their own ppl.
They can't be in power forever & future Tory Govts can do what they want outside the EU.
A say in whether the EU enlarges or not.
A say in if the EU federalises or remains a union of independent states.
A say in if there is an EU army.
Being the financial capital through which the majority of € is traded while still keeping the £.
The UK has taken the lead in efforts for EU enlargement. It pushed for the inclusion of Eastern European states. It pushed for Turkey to get its shit together so that it could join (which it made very slow progress with, and has largely been undone by Erdogan)
After #Brexit, the UK will have no influence on EU enlargement. In fact, as setting the EU as a rival, every country that joins the EU will a) strengthen the EU, and b) unravels any trade deals that the UK will have made with that country, isolating it further.
It's easy to forget the problems around brexit when news is short. So here's a quick summary of key issues ahead for the Government and the deal. #fbpe ft.com/content/9251ec…
Firstly, the NI border. Pretty much everyone except the Government, including Parliament's EU Select Committee, thinks that the only solution is for NI or the entire UK to stay in the SM and CU, breaking remaining red lines. theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/f…
Secondly, other borders. Customs checks need infrastructure that is not in place, and would cause massive tailbacks. Is the Government prepared to risk food shortages and wreck manufacturing? Again SM/CU only answer. theguardian.com/politics/2018/…
Tomorrow I will post a package of #StopBrexit paraphernalia to you
The materials are used by the Remain campaign & have been crowdfunded
I will also post prints of photos from the last 21 months (see thread below) so you can see what you haven't been covering
1/It has taken me several hours to compile nearly 2 years of photos from the #Remain campaign into this 22 page document, however i felt it necessary to do so in order to illustrate to the #BBC the extent and commitment of our campaign which you haven't been acknowledging.
(Thread) To all @UKLabour candidates in the upcoming May local elections:
Unfortunately I will not be able to vote for you as a representative of the Labour Party; this is despite having been a #Labour voter myself in the past. Please allow me to explain briefly my reasons why.
After the sacking of Owen Smith, I cannot vote for @UKLabour in any shape or form at the moment due to Jeremy Corybn's approach towards #Brexit which I view as highly undemocratic and contradictory to what the Labour party is meant to stand for ("for the many, not the few"?).
The attitude towards #Brexit by @jeremycorbyn and other hardcore Brexiteers like him really is now bordering on the fascist, something I find deeply disturbing. It seems that dissenters are being crushed.
2.#Wylie explains RIPON operation, RIPON used “data exhaust” to build psychological profiles in coordination with Cambridge University faculty. it creates modern day colonialism, harming fragile democracies, works illegally, without morals.
1. All of this flagged up by #Remain before A50 passed by the CONS & Labour..I remember distinctly our warnings that if it went thru Control passed to the EU27. It goes to prove how much damage both parties are prepared to inflict on our country to impose their ideology on us all
2. This price to buy a Transition that merely allows our politicians to kick the real impact down the road so they can con ppl into thinking things will be fine after #Brexit. If we don't #StopBrexitSaveBritain we'll be out on 29/03/19 & it will be too late to avoid the cliff.
3. This is all about leaving the EU 29/03/19..once out we've lost our BEST POSSIBLE DEAL, it will be Pay & Obey No Say on many issues ad infinitum; we'll never get back in. At that point we lose Rights...we're already losing jobs to the EU as companies relocate at least in part.