The brutal murder of #JamalKhashoggi is less about a fearless journalist being silenced and more about a royal court insider who knew too much. There is a distinction. The real Jamal wrote in Arabic defending Saudi's most henious crimes.
What happened to him is absolutely brutal and tragic and shows the lengths to which Riyadh will go to eliminate threats against the regime. Jamal was a regime insider for the longest of times, making him potentially more dangerous.
"The state has decisively eliminated Nimr al-Nimr and his sectarian separatist project but there are those among us who revive his peoject with aaccusations of treason against our Shia brothers and stupid calls to boycott them."
@DEsfandiary: #Iran’s regional policies are motivated not by religion but by “pragmatic nationalism”. Iran does not aim to gratuitously disrupt the region; it wants to consolidate power. But this hasn’t always played out in its favor. 2/11
@SafiraLeaf: 40 years on, Iran is no longer a revolutionary power. It is primarily committed to its own continuance but using asymmetric tools of directing proxy forces and splintering them, including the “NextGen use of Hezbollah” in Syria”. 3/11
I don’t even know how US citizens can claim that their government is fighting for freedom while their president says clearly we are protecting Saudi regime while this regime committing the most heinous crimes against humanity in #Yemen #US#UK#UN#USA
- US Saudi Coalition, unforgettable crimes.
It is all well & good that companies & lobbyists are reassessing #Saudi Arabia over reported murder of #JamalKhashogg. BUT! Where the fuck have all these people and firms been for decades? The violations of the #Saudi monarchy have never been a secret. nyti.ms/2CcsOjL
Glad to see people pay attention, finally, and I wish it hadn’t been over such a gruesome crime. I wish people and firms had started boycotting #Saudi royal family over its gender apartheid that affects all women there. Or the #Yemen war. Or jails full of activists. Or. And. Or.
This was my first oped about #Saudi Arabia for a US newspaper - ironically enough, The Washington Post. Fifteen schoolgirls had died in a fire because religious police wouldn’t let them out because the girls weren’t wearing a cloak and a headscarf washingtonpost.com/archive/opinio…
Salman's coup and purge flowered briefly under Trump and Simple Jared (more from Mueller via Nader) and is back to the 7th century. Goodbye to #NEOM#Yemen#Rights #https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3502079/Saudi-Arabia-s-kingdom-savagery-DOES-Britain-cosy-butchers.html
Suddenly all the monetary mercenaries who want to hustle the bedu for bucks at "Davos in the Sand" are double checking to see if their hotel reservation is at the Riyadh Ritz-Carlton. nbcnews.com/news/world/dav…
And for some inexplicable reason the fire works ceremony was cancelled.
#Khashoggi Case Thread: I am going to ‘pin’ this post to use it as an ‘Info Thread’ on the #Khashoggi Case. I am in #Turkey. I’ve been following the case closely and with access to sources & experts here. This is a very ‘sensitive’ criminal case due to ‘Diplomatic Booby Traps’!!!
The Evidence Obtained Outside Cameras will not show any evidence of ‘tempering’ but other than license plates of dozens of diplomatic cars (Many with tinted windows-large trunks) with related time stamp, drivers Info, model/year: Nothing.
#Turkish Intel-Investigative Bodies also have the list of all Diplomatic & Private Saudi & “other significant’ Planes in #Turkey for the period of ‘interest.’ Many of the Target airports have their own security cameras & related evidence.
Thread on #Saudi meddling in #Yemen's internal affairs. Listed and in chronological order. Keep this in mind, next time some nutjob on the news rants about supposed "Iranian meddling" in regards to Yemen.
- Saudi-Yemeni War of 1934, dispute over regional ownership ends with #Saudi Arabia annexing the Yemeni provinces of Najran, Jizan and Asir. Saudi Arabia held Hodeidah city occupied and threatened to cut off food supplies as blackmail.
- Saudi support for the Kingdom of Yemen during the 1962 Republican revolution. Imam Ahmad bin Yahya was dethroned because of corruption and for transforming the legitimate imamate into a monarchy. What followed was 5 years of brutal civil war.
1) Let’s talk about Caleb T. Maupin (@calebmaupin), another #Iran regime apologist/lobbyist, who introduces himself as a “journalist.”
2) Why am I discussing Maupin? #Iran’s state-run “Youth Journalists Club,” affiliated to the Revolutionary Guards (IRGC) ran this story today:
“Young American bravely confronts members of the terrorist grouplet monafeqin outside the UN” yjc.ir/fa/news/667998…
3) At a first glance, one may think wow! A brave American reporter coincidentally runs into a demonstration of “terrorists” in the middle of New York!
To be completely fair, here’s the video he posted of his encounter.
1. The #Iran Action Group created by @SecPompeo last month released its report. Iran's role in the region, which other administrations overlooked, appears to be under intense scrutiny. #Houthis in #Yemen have been identified alongside groups responsible for attacks against the US
2. The report stated that consequences of #Iran's meddling include its lethal ballistic missiles, which advanced its proxies military capabilities: "Yemen’s #Houthi militants have fired numerous ballistic missiles into #Saudi Arabia, including two directed at Riyadh in May 2018."
3. The report also indicated that since 2012: "#Iran has spent over $16 billion propping up the #Assad regime and supporting its other partners and proxies in #Syria, #Iraq, and #Yemen."
Head of #PMU, Abu Izrael is Shia, burning a dead Sunni, possibly ISIS, but it is not a justification. You can’t be barbaric & call others barbaric. Besides, burning dead people & enjoying it is a psychopathic behavior.
Eight thousand Shia Houthi children soldiers who are not even 13 years old recruited as fighters and human shields. They are also given drugs and are sexually abused in #Yemen
2) This entire document calls for diplomacy, engagement, talks & so forth with #Iran’s regime.
-This serves completely in the mullahs’ interests & they will take full advantage, as they have in the past 40 years.
-Reminds me of Obama’s failed approach.
You might also remember that the day before Prince arrived at the Four Seasons, on January11, 2017, that the #UAE was offering 5000 men to fight in Afghanistan via bagman George Nader in an email to money hustler Elliott Broidy to impress President Trump. dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5…
Erik Prince was fingered by the NYTimes as the man behind UAE mercenary company Reflex Response. R2 allegedly hired Olly North sidekick, Robert W. Owen, of Jupiter Fl to provide Colombian mercenaries via BVI-based, Thor Global Enterprises. #1585788.
1. The winning argument- that failure to certify endangers arms sales- is not only depraved, it's also leg affairs malpractice. Congress now doubts Sec Pompeo's good faith and any administration efforts to improve things in Yemen. That makes them MORE likely to block sales
2. Without naming names, some of the bureaus that advised against certification have consistently supported the US policy of mid-air refueling. That's as recently as a few months ago and throughout the Obama administration. HUGE shift.
(1) Let’s talk about a recent post in the European Council on Foreign Relations (@ecfr) website regarding sanctions on #Iran.
And the complete lie the European Council has resorted to. ecfr.eu/article/commen…
(2) At a first glance, the article seems to care about #Iran’s people “reporting shortages in life-saving medicine.”
Of course, the article fails to provide any source to show how they put forward such an argument.
(3) “The UN special rapporteur for human rights warned that the sanctions will undermine human rights in the country, drive people into poverty, and make imported goods unaffordable.”
The amount of crap and baseless claims that #AssociatedPress#AP is filling in into the mainstream media is unbelievable, especially regarding #Yemen !
#UAE’s heroic #counterterrorism operations in #Yemen against #AlQaeda are well spoken and praised by the #US Forces; but our friends at #AP are so happy to debunk those live operations and efforts easily !
US Forces and defense sec. didn’t call us the #LittleSparta for no reason; we fought like warriors in the face of #Iran’s terror, presented sacrifices of our men, saved poor #Yemeni children, and rebuilt the south of #Yemen ! #AP needs to learn ...
(3) “International sanctions must have a lawful purpose, must be proportional, and must not harm the human rights of ordinary citizens, and none of these criteria is met in this case,” Jazairy stressed.
Saudi Arabia to behead Israa Al-Ghomgham- a well known female human rights defender from Qatif- for taking part in peaceful protests.
Israa has been imprisoned for 32 months with no access to legal representation. esohr.org/en/?p=1852
Israa's father is trying to get her a lawyer since the notorious specialized criminal "court" (SCC) is anything but a court
Disturbing news for all female human rights activists in and outside Saudi Arabia. Such actions will have dangerous consequences on all Arab women activists in neighboring countries as well, mainly Bahrain.
“CNN has established that the weapon that left dozens of children dead on August 9 was a 500-pound (227 kilogram) laser-guided MK 82 bomb made by Lockheed Martin, one of the top US defense contractors.” #Yemencnn.com/2018/08/17/mid…
Who takes the statements from coalition spokesman Turki al-Maliki seriously anymore? Rest assured that if he says one thing, the opposite is actually the case. On Yemen, Saudi officials have lost their credibility long ago (2).
Also puzzling why @johnfkirby63 won’t admit Washington’s moral culpability. The U.S. can’t run away from this war & the devastation it’s causing when it sells the GBU’s, the combat aircraft, & fills up the tanks of Saudi aircraft. Cop out to defer to lawyers on the question (3).