A few thoughts on today's extraordinary meeting. Vladimir #Putin hinted that the FSB does indeed have #kompromat on Trump. Putin said he didn't know about #Trump's 2013 visit to Moscow, therefore this material can't exist. A non sequitur. Conclusion: there is a tape
Putin's offer to cooperate with Mueller is playful trolling. Mueller's agents won't be travelling to #Moscow anytime soon. In 2006 the Kremlin offered to cooperate in the Litvinenko murder probe. UK detectives visited Russia and were given the run-around, used as pawns in PR game
The limits of British diplomacy were woefully exposed. Theresa May had asked #Trump to raise the novichok poisoning of the Skripals and the death of Dawn Sturgess. Trump didn't and appears to have forgotten about them. No mention today of (alleged) #Russian state murder ops
3. #Putin & #Trump will be meet face-to-face around noon (1pm #Moscow time). The leaders have at least 3 hours scheduled for themselves after which they will proceed to another room for working lunch in a broader format with ministers and advisers.
Top international adviser to #Iran's SP Ali Akbar Velayati speaking @ValdaiClub now:says term #MiddleEast is British concept, he'd rather use West Asia/North Africa,argues due to #US influence some countries seek to play greater regional role (than they can)
Velayati:*throughout history external powers sought to dominate Mideast, #US no exception here, #Libya, #Somalia brought manifestations of western FP,#Trump seeks to undermine region,he wants to partition #Syria as they did w/ 🇱🇾 & #Iraq - bith once big, important states
Velayati: New element is after Islamic Revolution #Iran able to conduct policies independent of Western states, this is real reason why #US seeks to counter IRN.But if ot were not for #Russia & IRN, Leader of Nusra would be ruling today in #Damascus, head of #ISIS-in #Baghdad.
The need for our new report and recommendations therein is best summed up two maps indicating today's developments in #Syria:
It's a few hours after Putin & Netanyahu met in #Moscow to discuss the removal of #Iran from #Syria. #Israel responded to the UAV that crossed into its airspace from Syria with strikes at 3 military posts near its border.
NEW on coming #Putin@realDonaldTrump summit: (2nd THREAD) 1. In recent days #Moscow passed a two-page document to #Washington that should serve as a basis/draft for a bilateral communique the two Presidents should present after the #Helsinki talks.
2. According to #Rus sources #US accepted the paper but insisted an issue of "#Russia/n interference into American elections in 2016" is mentioned with due guarantees that this doesn't happen again.
3. Other statements on paper allegedly include themes of"sustaining dialogue b/n #Russia/n, #US officials,diplomats,military&security services" as well as development of economic ties,promotion of people-to-people contacts.Bilateral coop called one of factors for global stability
Time has come for the serious confrontation with #ISIS "soldiers of the Caliphate" in Quneitra (Jaish Khaled bin al Waleed) bordering the occupied Golan heights as the Syrian Army, Hezbollah & allies reached the territory occupied by the group as part of south #Syria liberation.
#Damascus soldiers & allies are aware of the necessity of this inevitable battle that is supposed to begin as soon as the preparation of attack from different fronts is completed. This can be achieved when more territories under Nusra and FSA are cleared.
PRESSER: #Russia's FM #Lavrov & #Jordan/ian FM Safadi: 1. Say they're satisfiedd w/ "close & useful interaction" over #Syria both in trilateral format (w/ #US in Amman) & via Astana where Jordan is observer.
Lavrov says #Rus appreciates JRD mediation b/n #SAA&opposition militants
2. #Lavrov, #Safadi discussed "some concrete measures of how to address issue of #Syria/n refugees in #Jordan."
Both reinforced need to comply w/ trilateral agreements over SW de-escalation zone,including,Lavrov stressed,"part on fight w/ #ISIS, #HTS that control 40% of the area"
3.#Lavrov said the SW zone "remains a priority" since as terrorists get driven out,conditions will be created for return of refugees,incl those based now in #Jordan. #Moscow insists broad international coop needed to restore #Syria's infrastructure,create jobs...
Let me share with you few insights of what I saw in #Daraa, the battle of south #Syria:
To-date, there are important points to highlight in this battle 1/+
. #Damascus and its allies decided to start the battle off south #Syria with or without #Russia at start. The decision has been made and #Moscow accepted to engage along the Syria central government. This is not the first time this happen. 2/+
. No casualties among #Syria allies, participating in the battle in the south so far, despite their presence on multiple fronts.
. Assad offered no guarantee to #Israel or #US but is expected to keep Syrian Army forces once the south is liberated 3/+
1. In 1987 it is believed that #Trump was recruited by #SovietUnion, specifically recruited by Kryuchkov head of First Chief Directorate, a division within the #KGB who's primary responsibility was to gather foreign intelligence
SHORT THREAD on the upcoming #Helsinki summit b/n #Putin, @realDonaldTrump. 1. Amidst modest,if not low,expectations on the very deliverables of the meeting it's interesting to see public & back-channel efforts of #Moscow & #Washington to build the agenda for the summit.
3. There's plenty of speculation over what the two will agree on in #Syria - the topic likely to dominate the summit. That said, given what's happening now b/n #Rus#US diplomats it's clear they been tasked to elaborate on broader agenda to make the talks look substantive.
#Syria UPDATE: 1. So, it appears #Russia, #US working on de-escalation options now via a number of "middle men". RUS military stated earlier it's been in touch w/ American Joint Chief of Staff over the issue & there're Rus-#NATO communication/talks via #Turkey military.
2.#Putin spoke on the phone w/ #Netanyahu earlier today. #Russia Prez said #Syria sovereignty should be respected, urged to refrain from actions that "could further destabilize the situayion in the country." #Israel's PM stood the ground on #Iran's prwsence in SYR as unacceptable
3. In #Moscow rumors have it #Netanyahu playing important intermediary role b/n #Putin & #Trump now, (an option #Russia has long been favoring) but no details on how big his role is. Anyways, some kind of deal to deconflict is being attempted
- I could hold up pictures of babies lying dead next to their mothers, in their diapers, all lying together, dead, ashen blue, open eyes & lifeless, white foam bubbling from their mouths & noses… the very definition of innocent, hiding in basements.
#Russia's UN envoy Nebenzya starts speaking at UNSC meeting on #Syria, alleged #ChemicalAttacks in #Douma, promises "he'd have to say a lot and the delegates'd have to listen"
1."#UK, #France follow #US in destructive policies in SYR, use blackmail, threaten RUS,
2.Even during #ColdWar Western diplomats didn't afford such tone vis-a-vis #Russia, "You understand what you did [in #MIddleEast]?No, you don't!Will you ever stop your geopolitical experiments?Do you understand what dangerous line you are driving the world to?
3.What's next for us?The most dangerous line of the confrontation is in #Syria.
In #EasternGhouta radicals have been terorrizing population for many years. Now people are being freed..But external sponsors prevent this progress.Terrorists wanted to continue blackmailing civilians
#Israel jets flew over Ghazeer (#Lebanon) at a very low altitude to avoid #Russia/n radars in an area where topography allows jets to hide. Inhabitants were terrified by the sound. Jets took altitude in the Bekaa for 3-4 minutes and launched its missiles+
#Russia imposed on #Israel to notify its Air movement over #Syria and the course of its jets if ever willing to enter the Syrian airspace. Israel believed Russia is informing Damascus to be prepared when knowledgeable about an Israeli violation.+
2. Three years later in 1984, David #Bogatin bought an apartment in #TrumpTower on Fifth Avenue, paying $6 million to buy five luxury condos. #Trump personally attended the closing, along with #Bogatin.
2.According to him,during operations in #EasternGhouta "actions by #SAA's special force unit (supported by #Russia/ns) led to a group of #UK's special forces ending up trapped in a siege,allegedly near Kafr Batna settlement.
3.The incident occurred few days after another unit of #UK's special forces was captured near Nashabiyah in #EasternGhouta.#London allegedly sought to negotiate their release w/ #Russia via #Oman as a mediator.#Moscow replied it was the jurisdiction of #Syria/n mil authorities.